Chief State's Attorney's Meeting

Minutes of the Meeting of July 23, 2012 - 1:00 p.m.
National District Attorneys Association
2012 Summer Conference
Mystic Marriott Hotel
Groton, Connecticut

The meeting was called to order at 1:37 p.m. by Chief State’s Attorney Kevin T. Kane. The meeting was held at the Mystic Marriott Hotel, Groton, in conjunction with the 2012 National District Attorneys Association (NDAA) Summer Conference.

In attendance were: Chief State’s Attorney Kane, State’s Attorneys David I. Cohen (Stamford-Norwalk); Michael Dearington (New Haven); Patricia M. Froehlich (Windham); Gail P. Hardy (Hartford); Peter A. McShane (Middlesex); Maureen Platt (Waterbury); Brian Preleski (New Britain): Michael L. Regan (New London); Stephen J. Sedensky III (Danbury); John C. Smriga (Fairfield); David Shepack (Litchfield) and Kevin Lawlor (Ansonia-Milford).

Also present: Executive Assistant State’s Attorneys Brian Austin, Jr., and Michael Gailor.

Chief State’s Attorney Kane recommended that the review of the minutes from the June 14, 2012, meeting be passed until the next meeting. There was no objection.

State’s Attorney Froehlich reported on the NDAA Committee meetings and Board of Directors Meeting that had occurred prior to the Conference. The NDAA is seeking members for its Committees and she recommended that Division consider identifying prosecutors to serve on several of the Committees. State’s Attorney Froehlich spoke about the importance of this Conference and its accompanying Committee meetings as a way for our State’s Attorneys to interact with our peers. There was discussion about setting aside the resources to send a group to next year’s Conference.

State’s Attorney Sedensky spoke about the Shaken Baby Syndrome/Abusive Head Trauma Conference that will be held at the end of September in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He reminded all State’s Attorneys to send the name of the attendee from their District to Brian Austin as soon as possible.

A motion was made by State’s Attorney Lawlor, seconded by State’s Attorney Smriga and passed unanimously to enter executive session at 1:52 p.m. to discuss a personnel matter. Also present for the executive session were Executive Assistant State’s Attorneys Austin and Gailor. No motions were made or votes taken during the executive session, and it ended at 2:02 p.m.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 2:03 p.m.