The Shut-off Moratorium in effect for residential customers ends on Thursday, October 1, 2020, for non-hardship customers, and on October 31, 2020, for financial hardship customers.  For more information contact your utility or Consumer Affairs. PURA COVID actions. Effective March 18, 2020, PURA is no longer requiring paper copies of documents filed electronically through the Web Filing System.   Electronic Filing

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get help paying my utility bill?
Visit our Payment Assistance Programs webpage for more information.

I have heard that I can now change electric suppliers. What do I need to know?
Before signing up with an electric supplier, be sure you know the standard service rate or the current rate you are paying so you can make an adequate comparison.  Also, know when the supplier’s rate will change, if there is an early termination fee, and if the contract has an automatic renewal provision, which allows the contract to automatically renew – often at a higher rate.  For more information on electric suppliers, visit

How do I switch suppliers?
Visit to shop for an electric supplier.

What is slamming?
Slamming is the unauthorized illegal switch of a customer’s utility service.  Specifically, slamming can involve the unauthorized switch of a customer’s competitive electric generation service or their local or long distance telephone service.

If you believe your electric generation service or your telephone service has been switched without your consent or authorization, you may contact the PURA to file a complaint (1-800-382-4586) or file a complaint using the online complaint form

What is the Winter Protection Program?
The Winter Protection Program – also referred to as the Winter Moratorium – is the time period from November 1 through May 1 when customers who qualify for hardship protection (because of income or illness) may not have their utility service terminated if they are unable to pay their entire bill for gas or electric service. The customer is required to apply to the company with proof of hardship, at which time if the requirements are met, the customer's account is put into protected status and the customer must enter into a payment arrangement with the utility.

What are the rules for shutoffs of gas, electric, water and telephone service?
See the Department's regulations on termination of service.

Who do I call if I have a complaint regarding the solar panels installed at my home or business? 
The PURA does not have jurisdiction over the solar panel companies or the installers of solar panels.  If you have a complaint regarding solar panels installers or installation, consumers are advised to contact the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection at 800-842-2649.  Consumers may also contact the Office of the Attorney General at 860-808-5318.

Where can I get information on docket #XX-XX-XX?
You can access pending or recently decided cases within PURA active dockets.  You can access older dockets within PURA inactive dockets.

If you need assistance in locating documents on the web, or that are not available electronically, call the Executive Secretary's Office, 860-827-2836.

Where can I get copies of annual reports for Connecticut based utility companies?
Most annual reports can be viewed online.  Alternatively, PURA can provide you with a copy of the annual report of any Connecticut utility company or competitive telecommunications carrier for a copying fee of $.25 per page. Call 1-800-382-4586 to order.

How do I get my name on the Do Not Call List (for telephone solicitation)?
You can get your name on the list through the National Do Not Call Registry.

What do I do If I have an issue with my cable company?
You should first contact your cable company.  Contact information for each cable company is available here.  If you have already contacted your cable company, please read PURA’s Cable FAQ for more information or to see whether PURA can help with your particular issue. 





Content last updated September 2020