**DSS Field Offices are now open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

**DSS Field Offices and our staffed telephone Benefits Center (1-855-6-CONNECT or 1-855-626-6632) are closed on Wednesdays to allow our staff time to process applications, renewals and related work.

**24/7 access: Customers can access benefit and application information, at www.connect.ct.gov and www.ct.gov/dss/apply; or our automated Client Information Line at 1-855-6-CONNECT (1-855-626-6632). More about 24/7 access options at www.ct.gov/dss/fieldoffices.

Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs

  • Does energy assistance pay my bill each month?
    Answer: No, the energy program is designed to help with your winter heating costs. CEAP is not intended to pay the entire cost of home heating.  If you are applying for CEAP assistance, you should continue to pay on your heating bill.  If your household is determined eligible, payments are made directly to the utility company or the fuel vendor on behalf of the applicant.
  • Does my heating bill have to be listed in my name?
    Answer: Applicants whose heat is not included in their rent, must document that they are responsible for their home energy costs by providing a current bill or a copy of a bill.  In order to be eligible for payment, bills must be in the name of the applicant or a household member who is of majority status, or an emancipated minor.  The bill must be for residential services at the address listed on the application and must be for charges incurred after November 1st.  Applicants whose heat is included in their rent must provide documentation that the heat is included in their rent. 
  • How do I apply if I am homebound?
    Answer: There are times when a home visit, telephone application or a mail-in application procedure may be necessary to serve an applicant, such as; if the individual has a need for a special accommodation because of a disabling condition, etc.  Inform the worker of your needs when you call to schedule an appointment. 
  • How do I know if I qualify for CEAP?
    Answer:  Eligibility for Energy Assistance is based on the annual gross income and the size of the household.  The best approach is to contact your local Community Action Agency, which can be found by clicking the link found in the Eligibility tab or by calling 2-1-1 United Way for referral to an application site near you.  After you complete the application, an eligibility specialist will determine whether your household is eligible to receive winter heating benefits.  
  • I don't have a heating bill because my heat is included in my rent. May I still apply for energy assistance?
    Answer: Even if you do not have any energy bills because heating costs are included in your rent payment, you may be eligible to receive assistance in the form of a one-time payment made directly to the household.  You will need to submit a copy of a rental agreement along with your completed application. 
  • What happens if I give false information?
    Answer: Your signature means that you have read the application, understand it, and swear that all statements made on the form are true, correct, and complete to the best of your knowledge.  If you give false information on any of your forms and know it is false, we can charge you with fraud.  If you misrepresent your circumstances when applying for energy assistance, you are subject to prosecution and/or replacement of any benefits provided.  You are also prohibited from participation in the energy program for the remainder of the current program year and for two program years following the year in which the misrepresentation occurred.  When you sign your application, you give the agency the right to request any information, including information about wages that may be required to determine your household’s eligibility. 
  • What information will I need to provide in order to apply for the program?
    Answer:  You would need to provide proof of gross income from all sources for every household member for four (4) consecutive weeks within the three (3) months prior to the application date.

    If you heat with natural gas or electricity, you must provide a current utility bill (or copy) in your name or in the name of a household member who is of majority status, or an emancipated minor.  If your heat is included with your rent, you must provide verification that your heat is included in your rent.

    Income verification may include the following:

    WAGE EARNERS: Copies of four most recent consecutive weekly pay stubs or a statement from your employer on company letterhead signed by either the employer or the payroll department stating your gross wages for four weeks within the last three months.

    SELF-EMPLOYMENT: Your federal income tax return with all attachments and/or your self-employment business records, books, a Self-Employment Worksheet.

    FIXED INCOME:  Income verification may include one or more of the following types:

    • Social Security Benefits or Supplemental Security Income - copy of recent check, Social Security Award Letter, bank statement showing direct deposit
    • State Assistance Financial Benefits (TFA, State Supplement, etc.) - a current budget sheet showing the monthly benefit amount awarded, etc.
    • Veterans' Assistance- V.A. Award Letters, copy of current check, evidence of bank direct deposit
    • Unemployment Compensation Benefits or Workers Compensation Benefits - current benefits printout, Award Letters
    • Subsidized Adoption Benefits - copy of current checks, award letters, etc.
    • Pensions or Annuities - bank direct deposit, statement from income source on their letterhead
    • Any alimony or child support, including support paid to you via Child Support Enforcement, Divorce decree or Family Relations Court, or directly to you via the absent parent’s employer, or by the absent parent himself/herself for each dependent child- copies of checks, bank direct deposits, support check printouts or letters from Support Enforcement, lawyers, voluntary agreement statement from absent parent, etc.
    • Rental Income - rent stub(s), tenants’ lease, copies of checks deposited in your bank acct. 
    • Contributions - Signed statements from friends or relatives who are contributing to your household’s support
  • When and where may I apply?
    Answer: Delivery of heating fuel begins November 1, 2021, however local Community Action Agencies began taking applications August 2, 2021 so that households could be pre-approved before winter. You may call 2-1-1 United Way to inquire about the intake site nearest to your residence.  To locate the Community Action Agency in the town where you live, follow this link. Applicants may apply by telephone, mail-in application or in person.