The department may issue a temporary permit to an applicant for licensure as a master social worker who holds a master's degree from an accredited social work educational program but who has not yet taken the licensure examination.  Such temporary permit shall authorize the holder to practice as a master social worker.
The temporary permit shall be valid for a period not to exceed one hundred twenty calendar days after the date the master's degree was awarded and is not be renewable. The permit shall become void and shall not be reissued in the event that the applicant fails to pass the licensing examination. The fee for a temporary permit is $50.
Application Instructions
In order to be issued a temporary permit, the applicant must also be an applicant for full licensure.  Both the application for licensure and temporary permit shall be submitted online.  Please note that there are 2 distinct applications that must be completed online.
Documentation Requirements
Applicants must arrange for the submission of a transcript directly to this office from the school documenting the date on which the master's degree was awarded. 
In lieu of a transcript, this office will accept a letter from the university registrar or program director indicating that the applicant completed the program and the date the degree was awarded.  The letter must be written after the date the degree was awarded. 
In no case will a temporary permit be issued to an applicant whose degree was awarded more than 120 calendar days from the date the applicant applied for a permit.
Please arrange for the transcript or letter to be submitted directly to:
Connecticut Department of Public Health
MSW Licensing
410 Capitol Ave., MS#12APP
P.O. Box 340308
Hartford, CT 06134
Fax:  (860) 707-1980