Choosing a nursing home for yourself or a loved one is a very important decision. Consumers should always visit each facility they are considering and spend time touring the facility and talking with residents, families and staff members.
- Contact the facility's admissions representative to schedule an appointment for an informational meeting and tour
- Visit the facility and observe staff interactions with residents, visit at meal time at night or on the weekends
- Speak with residents and family members about their experiences
- Ask about the resident council and resident rights
- Ask how the facility handles patient concerns or complaints
- Does the environment look comfortable?
- Narrow choices and re-visit the facility at a different time of day if possible
- Ask to participate in care planning decisions