Help for Homeowners and Renters


The majority of mortgage loans in the state are owned by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac or guaranteed by FHA, which are entities sponsored by the U.S. government.  Each of these entities offer options for assistance. 

Fannie Mae:
Freddie Mac:
Guaranteed by FHA:


Connecticut Mortgage Relief and Foreclosure Prevention Programs:


The Connecticut Housing Finance Authority (CHFA) administers MyHomeCT, which provides grant assistance to homeowners who have experienced difficulty meeting their mortgage obligations or other housing costs due to a COVID-19-related financial hardship. For homeowners who meet the eligibility requirements, this assistance may include bringing a mortgage current or making future mortgage payments.  

Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program (EMAP)

The State of Connecticut, through the Connecticut Housing Finance Authority, also offers the Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program (EMAP) for homeowners facing financial hardship. 


Understand your rights as a renter.  There may be options for renters struggling due to a financial hardship.  Visit the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac websites for assistance.