Hazardous Waste Management Regulations
Effective August 25, 2017, DEEP has amended the Connecticut Hazardous Waste Management Regulations to adopt the EPA's 2013 Solvent-Contaminated Wipes Rule. This rule provides an exemption from hazardous waste requirements for certain solvent-contaminated wipes that meet specified management requirements. In particular, qualifying wipes may be: (1) laundered at certain laundry facilities; or, (2) disposed of at certain in-state combustion facilities or at out-of-state combustion or landfill facilities meeting the requirements of the receiving state. A copy of the final DEEP regulation is available on the Connecticut eRegulations website. More information about this new rule is available in a DEEP PowerPoint Presentation. Note: pursuant to the adoption of this new regulation, the DEEP's fact sheet entitled "Industrial Rag Handling" is no longer valid, and will be replaced.
History of DEEP's Current Hazardous Waste Management Regulations
On July 17, 1990, the Department adopted hazardous waste management regulations that incorporated the federal hazardous waste regulations (40 CFR 260-270 and 40 CFR 124) as of July 1, 1989. At that time, the Department modified several of the federal requirements which made Connecticut’s hazardous waste program more stringent or broader in scope than the federal program.
On October 31, 2001, June 27, 2002 and September 10, 2002, the Department updated the state’s hazardous waste management regulations to incorporate the federal hazardous waste regulations (40 CFR 260-279 and 40 CFR 124) as of January 1, 2001. Notable rules incorporated by these updates included:
- standards for used oil generators, transporters, processors, re-refiners, burners and marketers;
- the universal waste rule, which established reduced management requirements for hazardous waste batteries, thermostats, pesticides and lamps;
- the addition of used electronics to the state’s universal waste rule; and
- the corrective action program, including requirements for corrective action at interim status land disposal facilities.
As it did with the state’s July 17, 1990 regulations, the Department modified several of the federal rules which were incorporated through these updates. While many of the changes were made for clarification purposes, others continue to make the revised state regulations more stringent or broader in scope than the federal regulations. These changes are consistent with the Department’s previous efforts to adequately protect public health and the environment in Connecticut.
Copies of the Current Hazardous Waste Management Regulations and the Federal Regulations they Incorporate
- Hazardous Waste Management Regulations. Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies ("RCSA") Sections 22a-449(c)-100 through -119, incorporating 40 CFR 124 and 40 CFR 260 to 279 through January 1, 2001. Also includes RCSA Section 22a-449(c)-11 regarding hazardous waste transporter permits. For related requirements, see also RCSA Section 22a-454-1 and RCSA Section 22a-209-17.
- The federal hazardous waste regulations that are incorporated by reference in Connecticut's Hazardous Waste Management Regulations are available via the following links:
40 CFR 124
40 CFR 260 - 265
40 CFR 266 - 279
Fact Sheets and Other Information Resources for Connecticut's Hazardous Waste Management Regulations
- Federal Rules Incorporated by Connecticut's Hazardous Waste Management Regulations:
- Federal Rules Incorporated by Reference. This document lists the federal rules promulgated from July 1, 1989 to June 30, 1995 which were incorporated in the state’s hazardous waste regulations.
- Federal Rules Incorporated by Reference. This document lists the federal rules promulgated from July 1, 1995 through January 1, 2001 which have been incorporated in the state’s hazardous waste regulations.
- Summary of Revisions Made to Connecticut's Hazardous Waste Management Regulations. The following two fact sheets summarize the revisions made to Connecticut's hazardous waste management regulations. For the convenience of the reader, they are available in both PDF and html format.
- Fact Sheet - New Hazardous Waste Management Regulations. Describes some of the important changes that became effective on October 31, 2001 (PDF Version; html version).
- Fact Sheet - Revisions to DEEP Hazardous Waste Management Regulations. Describes some of the important changes in the regulations that became effective on June 27 and September 10, 2002 (PDF version; html version)
- Corrective Action for Interim Status Land Disposal Facilities. The Corrective Action at RCRA Land Disposal Facilities fact sheet provides information on revisions to Connecticut’s hazardous waste management regulations concerning the cleanup of certain hazardous waste land disposal facilities. These revisions became effective on September 10, 2002.
Questions? If you have questions about hazardous waste, call our toll-free COMPASS hotline at 1-888-424-4193, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (except state holidays), or send us an email.
Content Last Updated February 3, 2020