Office of the State's Attorney
Ansonia-Milford Judicial District

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the role of the State's Attorney?

The State's Attorney is responsible for prosecuting all individuals charged with violating the criminal laws of the State of Connecticut within the Judicial District of Ansonia-Milford.  The State’s Attorney and Assistant State’s Attorneys prosecute crimes classified under the law as a class A or class B felony in the Judicial District Superior Court, which is also known as the J.D., or "Part A," court. All other state criminal offenses and motor vehicle infractions are prosecuted in the two Geographical Area (G.A., also called "Part B") courts in the Judicial District of Ansonia-Milford. The cities, towns and their Geographical Areas can be found by following this link.

Does the State’s Attorney represent victims?

The State’s Attorney represents the interest and public welfare of the State of Connecticut, but not the victim directly. In the State of Connecticut, the rights of the victim are protected by Article XXIX of the State Constitution, and victims are assisted in the criminal process by the Office of Victim’s Services. Follow this link for information about the Victim Advocates serving the Ansonia-Milford Judicial District.

How do I report a crime?

If you are trying to report an emergency situation, call 911 on your telephone to be connected immediately to the emergency services you require. Do not call 911 unless it is an emergency. In non-emergency situations, crime reports should be directed to the police agency in the city or town where the crime occurred. Links to local Police Departments and the State Police can be found by following this link.

How can I track the status of a criminal case in which I have been a victim, witness, or a case in which I am interested?

Case information for most criminal cases in Connecticut state courts is available online from the Judicial Branch by following this link. Additional services for victims may be available through the Victim Advocate. Contact information for Victim Advocates can be found by following this link.

How do I get a continuance for my pending criminal or motor vehicle case?

If you cannot make your pending criminal/motor vehicle case, for legitimate reason of illness, death in the family, or other significant reason, the first thing you should do is contact your attorney (private lawyer or public defender). If you do not have an attorney, contact the Clerk of the Court at 203-874-1116 (Milford) or 203-735-7438 (Derby). Be prepared to submit proof of medical treatment or other reason.

Can I resolve my motor vehicle infraction ticket by phone or mail?

Motor vehicle infraction tickets can be answered by mail, either by paying the fine as issued, or sending them back with a plea of not guilty. Nothing else should be sent with the ticket. You will then be notified by mail of your court appearance date. Any evidence to be submitted should be brought with you to court. By pleading Not Guilty you are requesting, and therefore required to attend, a court hearing.

If you decide to change your mind, and no longer wish to contest the ticket, you may contact the Clerk at 203-874-1116 (Milford) or 203-735-7438 (Derby), and pay the fine as originally issued.  If you were issued a Summons to Appear (with a court date), and not an Infraction Ticket (with a fine amount), you are required to appear in court on the date indicated on the Summons.

The State’s Attorney’s Office will not discuss your case with you over the phone.

How do I find out if an arrest warrant has been issued?

If you know where the alleged incident happened, contact the local police department.  If you do not know where it occurred, contact your local police department and have them check for any outstanding warrants in your name. If you are not the subject of the warrant, disclosure of information is subject to policy of the individual police department.  There is no guarantee of release of any information regarding warrants issued for other persons."

What do I do if I believe I have been a victim of identity theft or consumer fraud?

As with any matter in which you feel you have been a victim of a crime, first contact your local police department to report the matter. Additional information about consumer fraud is available from the State of Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection.

What do I do when I am called for jury duty?

Jury duty is administered by the Judicial Branch. Follow this link for information from the Judicial Branch regarding jury duty.

How can I find information regarding child support matters?

Support Enforcement matters are not handled by the Office of the State’s Attorney, but by Support Enforcement Services in the Judicial Branch. Follow this link for more Information from the Judicial Branch.

What is the difference between criminal cases handled by the U.S. Attorney's Office and the State's Attorney's Office?

Attorneys for the United States Department of Justice in the Office of the United States Attorney prosecute cases that involve violations of federal law. The U.S. Attorney has jurisdiction over both foreign and domestic crimes. Many of the U.S. Attorney's cases involve offenses in which the U.S. mail is used to commit theft or fraud, violations of federal tax regulations, or situations where a crime has been committed on federal property or against a federal official, or crimes involving the interstate transportation of narcotics, firearms or stolen merchandise. Follow this link for more information about the Office of the United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut.

In contrast, Assistant State's Attorneys working for the Ansonia-Milford State's Attorney's Office prosecute crimes that violate Connecticut state law and that are committed in the nine towns and cities that make up the Judicial District of Ansonia-Milford. In some cases, both the U.S. Attorney and the State's Attorney have authority to prosecute, such as those involving street gang criminal conspiracies and illicit enterprises, public corruption, financial crimes, and illegal gun sales and possession. In those instances, the two offices work cooperatively to decide what is in the best interest of the case before the case is filed in Federal District Court or in the Superior Court of Connecticut.

The answers to more frequently asked questions about the criminal justice system and the State of Connecticut Division of Criminal Justice can be found by following this link.