1st Booster Shot:
If you are 18 years or older, you can choose which vaccine to receive as a booster shot, regardless of the vaccine type you originally received:
- If Pfizer was your primary two-dose series, you can get a booster five months later of either Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson.
- If Moderna was your primary two-dose series, you can get a booster five months later of either Moderna, Pfizer or Johnson & Johnson.
- If you received the one-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine, you can get a booster two months later of either Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer or Moderna.
If you are 5-17 years old and received Pfizer as your primary series,. Other COVID-19 booster vaccines are not authorized for use in people under 18.
2nd Booster Shot:
People in the following groups can choose to get a 2nd booster of either Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine at least 4 months after the 1st booster:
- Adults ages 50 years and older
- Adults who are moderately or severely immunocompromised
- Adults 18 to 49 years who received Johnson & Johnson for their primary dose and booster – This is not required to be considered up to date
- Minors ages 12 to 17 years old who are moderately or severely immunocompromised are eligible for a 2nd booster dose of Pfizer-BioNTech
Johnson & Johnson is not authorized for use as a 2nd booster.
For the most up to date information, please visit COVID-19 Vaccine Boosters