Document Authentication and Apostille

An authentication is a sealed certificate that confirms the authority of a public official to act in a particular capacity in connection with a document that he or she has signed. The country in which a document will be used determines the type of certificate that this office will attach to the original. 

How do I submit a document for authentication/apostille?

1. Submit documents to be authenticated or apostilled

2. Complete the Authentication Order Form

3. Include the required fee:

$40 per authentication

$15 per authentication, if related to adoption of a child

PAYMENTS (Do Not Send Cash):

Personal Check and Money Order (Payable to "Secretary of the State") Credit Card and Debit Card

(Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express)

4. Deliver the document to our office:


Hand Delivery, FedEx, UPS, or DHL remain available

Physical Address:

Secretary of the State

Authentications and Apostilles

165 Capitol Avenue, Suite 1000

Hartford, CT 06106 


Mail original authentication documents                

Mailing Address:

(ONLY US Postal Service Mail)

Secretary of the State

Authentications and Apostilles

PO Box 150470

Hartford, CT 06115-0470

Frequently Asked Questions

How will you return the authenticated document back to me?

If you provide a prepaid shipping label for FedEx, UPS, DHL or the US Postal Service, we will return it using that method.  If you do not provide prepaid shipping, we will return your document by first class mail.

What documents can I have authenticated/apostilled? 

We can only authenticate documents signed by a Connecticut state public official.

  • Connecticut Notaries Public
  • Town Clerks and their duly appointed assistants and deputies
  • Local Registrars of Vital Statistics and their duly appointed assistants and deputies
  • Clerks and Assistant Clerks of the Superior and Probate Courts
  • Commissioners of Connecticut State Agencies
  • Justices of the Peace
What documents CANNOT be authenticated?
  • Documents signed by an out-of-state notary.
  • Documents issued by the federal government. These documents need to be submitted to the U.S. State Department.
  • Out-of-state vital records or court documents. These documents need to be submitted to the issuing state. 
  • Out-of-state school transcripts. These documents must be authenticated by the state in which the school is located.
Can a copy be authenticated?

Yes. The copy must be: (1) accompanied by a written statement affirming that the copy is true and accurate; (2) sworn to and signed before a Connecticut Notary Public. 

 Where do I obtain certified copies of vital records such as certificates of birth, death and marriage? 

Vital Records can be obtained by contacting your Town Clerk or the Department of Public Heath, Vital Records Unit.

How do I contact you?


PHONE: 860-509-6002 (option 4)

Customer support hours are M–F 8:30 am – 4:00 pm