Appendix L: Resources
The American School Counselor Association – ASCA supports school counselors’ efforts to help students focus on academic, career and social-emotional development so they achieve success in school and are prepared to lead fulfilling lives as responsible members of society.
- ASCA-adopted Ethical Standards for School Counselors – These standards are the ethical responsibility of all school counselors.
- ASCA School Counselor Professional Standards and Competencies – These standards and competencies help ensure new and experienced school counselors are equipped to establish, maintain and enhance a comprehensive school counseling program addressing academic achievement, career planning and social-emotional development.
- ASCA Mindsets & Behaviors for Student Success: K–12 College- and Career Readiness for Every Student describe the knowledge, skills and habits of mind students need to achieve academic success, college and career readiness and social-emotional development.
- ASCA Position Statements – ASCA-adopted positions on a number of school counselor-related topics.
- ASCA Suicide Prevention Guidebook Available for Schools – Update your school’s suicide prevention, intervention and postvention policy with the revised Model School District Policy on Suicide Prevention, a comprehensive guidebook offering best practices for K–12 schools, school districts and policymakers.
Center for School Counseling Outcome Research & Evaluation – CSCORE is dedicated to improving educational opportunities and outcomes for all children through identifying and developing research-based and effective school counseling practices. CSCORE conducts and disseminates findings from research about career, social-emotional, and academic interventions; provides K–12 leaders and practitioners with information about data-based decision-making, evidence-based practices, and program evaluation; and provides international leadership in the measurement of the outcomes of school counseling interventions and programs.
School Counseling Analysis, Leadership and Evaluation (SCALE) – The SCALE Research Center is an interactive tool focusing on the facilitation and dissemination of school counseling research evidence-based practices demonstrating the connection between comprehensive and developmental school counseling programs and student success.
Secondary Transition – Planning from School to Adult Life webpage, A Transition Guide to Postsecondary Education and Employment for Students and Youth with Disabilities (Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services, May 2017), and the IDEA Secondary Transition Topic Area.