The U.S. Department of Agriculture's USDA final rule, Professional Standards for State and Local School Nutrition Programs Personnel as Required by the HHFKA of 2010, requires minimum education standards and annual training standards for school nutrition professionals who manage and operate the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program (SBP). These standards ensure that school nutrition personnel have the knowledge, training, and tools needed to plan, prepare, and purchase healthy products to create nutritious, safe, and enjoyable school meals.
- The minimum education standards are hiring standards that apply to new school nutrition program directors based on a school district’s size. For more information, review page 2 of the USDA's handout, Professional Standards for All School Nutrition Program Employees: Summary of the Final Rule Effective July 1, 2015.
- The annual training standards apply to all school nutrition program directors, managers, and staff. The chart below summarizes the required continuing education hours per year. The required training topic areas vary according to the position and job requirements. For detailed guidance, review the USDA's Guide to Professional Standards for School Nutrition Programs.
|Minimum Annual Training Requirements for School Nutrition Employees *|
|Job Category||Continuing Education Hours|
|All Other Staff (other than the director or manager) who works an average of at least 20 hours per week||6|
|Part-time Staff (work less than 20 hours per week)||4|
|Mid-year Hires in All Categories (January 1 or later)||Half of training requirement for each job category|
|* Annual requirements apply to the 12 months between July 1 and June 30.|
- CSDE State Discretion for Professional Standards
- Guide to Professional Standards for School Nutrition Programs (USDA)
- Professional Standards for All School Nutrition Program Employees: Summary of the Final Rule Effective July 1, 2015
- Professional Standards Requirements (USDA)
- USDA Memo SP 38-2016: Questions & Answers (Q&As) on the Final Rule “Professional Standards for State and Local School Nutrition Programs Personnel as Required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010”
- Professional Standards Learning Objectives (USDA)
- Professional Standards Training Topics (USDA)
- Professional Standards Tracker Log (CSDE)
- Web-based Professional Standards Training Tracker Tool (USDA
- Database of Professional Standards Training (USDA)
- eLearning Portal (Institute of Child Nutrition)
- How to Earn Training Hours for Professional Standards (SNA)
- Meal Pattern Training for School Nutrition Programs (Grades K-12) (CSDE)
- School Nutrition S.T.A.R. Webinar Series (Institute of Child Nutrition)
- USDA Food and Nutrition Service You Tube Videos (USDA)