PURA Framework for an Equitable Modern Grid
Sign up for email alerts
Interested in receiving email updates for the above dockets, or other PURA proceedings? Sign up through PURA's email notification system. If you’re having difficulties updating an existing account, use the Internet Explorer browser and follow these troubleshooting tips.
On October 2, 2019, PURA issued an Interim Decision in Docket No. 17-12-03, PURA Investigation into Distribution System Planning of the Electric Distribution Companies. The Interim Decision outlines the Authority’s framework for investigating methods for realizing an equitable modern electric grid in Connecticut, as well as for near-term and long-term plans to ensure continued developments to Connecticut’s electric grid through a biennial integrated distribution system planning process.
PURA established the following objectives for its Equitable Modern Grid Framework:
- Support (or remove barriers to) the growth of Connecticut’s green economy;
- Enable a cost-effective, economy-wide transition to a decarbonized future;
- Enhance customers access to a more resilient, reliable, and secure commodity; and
- Advance the ongoing energy affordability dialogue in the State, particularly in underserved communities.
Based on the foundational record established during Phase I of this proceeding, PURA identified eleven near-term topics to be investigated in three additional phases and associated time frames in order to realize the Framework’s objectives:
Phase II (beginning in the fourth quarter of 2019)
- Energy Affordability (17-12-03RE01)
- Advanced Metering Infrastructure (17-12-03RE02)
- Electric Storage (17-12-03RE03)
- Zero Emission Vehicles (17-12-03RE04)
- Innovative Technology Applications and Programs (Innovation Pilots) (17-12-03RE05)
- Interconnection Standards and Practices (17-12-03RE06)
Phase III (beginning in the first half of 2020)
- Non-Wires Alternatives (17-12-03RE07)
- Resilience and Reliability Standards and Programs (17-12-03RE08)
- Distributed Energy Resource Analysis and Program Reviews (17-12-RE09)
- Building Blocks of Resource Adequacy and Clean Electric Supply (17-12-03RE10) beginning at the completion of DEEP’s Integrated Resources Plan
- New Rate Designs (17-12-03RE11) to be initiated upon issuance of a Final Decision in Docket No. 17-12-03RE01