Connecticut Home Care Program for Elders (CHCPE)

How To

Making a Referral
Referrals can now be accepted online at: Opens in a new window
For more information, or to start the application process, please call 1-800-445-5394 (toll-free) or 860-424-4904 locally in the Hartford area and select option 4.

In order for this system to function, someone must first identify and refer elders who might be in need of protection. To support this effort, the Department of Social Services has made on-line training available to educate people on how to recognize and report elder maltreatment.

Certain people in Connecticut are required by the state statute to be trained on and to report suspected elder maltreatment. This self-paced training provides a certificate of completion. Follow this link to access the PSE Web Based Training on Elder Abuse For Mandated Reporters Opens in a new window.

Follow this link to access the PSE Web-Based Training for members of the general public Opens in a new window

Call the Protective Services for the Elderly at the Department of Social Services during business hours at the toll-free line: 1-888-385-4225 or Infoline at 211 (after business hours, weekends or state holidays). Out of State call Infoline at 1-800-203-1234.

Follow this link to the optional Report Form for Protective Services for the Elderly. (W-675)
Please FAX the W-675 form to 860-424-5091.

Conservator of Estate (COE)

In certain circumstances, the DSS Commissioner may be appointed as the Conservator of Estate for frail elderly persons sixty years of age or older, if the person is incapable of managing his or her own financial affairs.

Conservator of Person (COPP)
The DSS Conservator of Person Program is administered by staff who represent the DSS Commissioner and are appointed by the Probate Court to supervise the personal affairs of an individual who has a critical need for someone to act on their behalf due to mental or physical disability.

Long Term Care Investigations and Interventions
Public Act 99-176 redirected the reporting to and investigation of abuse, neglect and exploitation of nursing home residents from the Office of the Long Term Care Ombudsman to the Office of the Commissioner of Social Services. This responsibility is assigned to the Bureau of Aging, Community, and Social Work Services. The Social Work unit will screen all calls and written reports relating to this matter. Reports of abuse, neglect or exploitation should be made to Social Work Services utilizing the form W-410 and should be faxed to 860-424-5091. Please contact the Social Work unit at 860-424-5964 for any questions regarding this procedure