Scope of Practice Determinations for Health Professions
Scope of Practice for Health Professions
Scope of Practice describes the procedures, actions and processes that a healthcare practitioner is permitted to undertake in keeping with the terms of their professional license.
For Nursing Scope of Practice questions, please call: (860) 509-7555
For all other Scope of Practice questions, please call: (860) 509-7552
Scope of Practice Determinations for Health Professions for the 2018-19 Legislative Session
Scope of Practice Reports 2019
2018-19 Scope of Practice Requests
- Connecticut Art Therapy Association
- Connecticut Academy of Physician Assistants
- Connecticut Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
NOTICE: Impact Statements are due October 1, 2018
No later than October 1, 2018, any person or entity acting on behalf of a health care profession that may be directly impacted by a scope of practice request may submit a written statement to the DPH and provide a copy to the person or entity that submitted the scope of practice request.
Any such person or entity directly impacted by a scope of practice request shall indicate the nature of the impact taking into consideration the following criteria:
(Please note that those submitting impact statements are not required to include every criteria listed below in impact statements, only those that are relevant)
1. a plain language description of the request;
2. public health and safety benefits that the requestor believes will occur if the request is implemented and, if applicable, a description of any harm to public health and safety if it is not implemented;
3. the impact of the request on public access to health care;
4. a brief summary of state or federal laws governing the profession
5. the state's current regulatory oversight of the profession;
6. all current education, training, and examination requirements and any relevant certification requirements applicable to the profession;
7. a summary of known scope of practice changes requested or enacted concerning the profession in the five years preceding the request;
8. the extent to which the request directly affects existing relationships within the health care delivery system;
9. the anticipated economic impact of the request on the health care delivery system;
10. regional and national trends in licensing of the health profession making the request and a summary of relevant scope of practice provisions enacted in other states;
11. identification of any health care professions that can reasonably be anticipated to be directly affected by the request, the nature of the impact, and efforts made by the requestor to discuss it with such health care professions;
12. description of how the request relates to the health care profession's ability to practice to the full extent of the profession's education and training.
New Scope of Practice Determinations for Health Professions
Any person, acting on behalf of a health care profession, can seek to establish a new scope of practice or change a profession's scope of practice by submitting a written scope of practice request to the Department of Public Health (DPH).
Connecticut General Statutes 19a-16d - 19a-16f , establishes a process for the submission and review of requests from health care professions seeking to revise or establish a scope of practice prior to consideration by the General Assembly. Under the provisions of these sections of the Connecticut General Statutes, the scope of practice review committees may review and evaluate these requests and provide findings to the joint standing committee of the General Assembly having cognizance of matters relating to public health. The Department of Public Health (DPH) is responsible for receiving requests and for establishing and providing support to the review committees, within available appropriations.
Written documents and inquiries should be directed to:
Healthcare Quality Safety Branch
Practitioner Licensing and Investigations Section
Department of Public Health
410 Capitol Avenue, MS#12APP
P.O. Box 340308
Hartford, CT 06134
Phone: (860) 509-7590