New Temporary Nurse AideThe Department of Public Health is allowing for a new temporary certification of a "Temporary Nurse Aide" to function as Connecticut certified nurse’s aide to address work increases and staffing shortages caused by the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic. The American Health Care Association (AHCA) is offering an 8 hour online course for a Temporary Nurse Aide in combination with onsite training completed by the institution of hire. Completion of the training will result in a job title of Temporary Nurse Aide in the State of Connecticut. The abbreviated nurse aide program permits a comprehensive care facility, such as a nursing home or other institution, to employ a trained Temporary Nurse Aide to perform defined resident care procedures that do not require the skill or training required for a Connecticut Certified Nurse Aide (CNA).
Steps to Register as a Temporary Nurse Aide in Connecticut
- Carefully read through the process for registration and requirements in the Executive Order No. 7SS "Protection of Public Health and Safety during COVID-19 Pandemic and Response-Temporary Nurse Aide"
- Register, Complete, and Pass the Final Assessment of the American Health Care Association (AHCA) and National Center for Assisted Living (NCAL) free 8-hour Temporary Nurse Aide online course at WWW.TempNurseAide.com
- Select the How to Get Started Tab and follow the directions to register and take the course
- Help is available – select Need Help in the Left-Hand Navigation Sidebar
- Print your Certificate of Completion
- Review Connecticut DPH supplemental materials
- Go to the CT DPH website to register as a Temporary Nurse Aide in Connecticut
- You will need your American Health Care Association (AHCA) Certificate of Completion in a format that can be uploaded to the website .
- If you have registered successfully, you will receive an email that displays the information you supplied (it will not include a copy of your certificate).
Please register on the Connect to Care Jobs portal.
What is Connect to Care Jobs? ConnectToCareJobs.com is a job matching site that allows nursing homes, assisted living facilities, residential care facilities, and long-term acute care hospitals to identify specific staffing needs. Individuals who are licensed and/or trained for the various roles in these facilities can register their availability and willingness to fill shifts. An algorithm then matches the workers and the facilities in real time.
To help nursing homes recruit Temporary Nurse Aides and other classifications of healthcare workers, the Connecticut Department of Health is introducing facilities to a new job portal service designed to match nursing homes and other long-term care facilities with qualified job seekers. This service is offered at no cost to the nursing homes (i.e. the potential employers) and job seekers.
Graduates of the Connecticut Temporary Nurse Aide program searching for a position should follow these steps:
1. Visit www.connecttocarejobs.com and create your account.
2. Fill out the form with information about your skills and availability.
3. The matching tool will pair your profile with healthcare facilities looking for a temporary nurse aide, and the healthcare facility will contact you directly.
4. Continue to check the website to update your availability for new opportunities.
For the best performance use Google chrome or Microsoft edge when accessing this site. The site does not function on internet explorer.
***When seeking employment, have a copy of your American Health Care Association (AHCA) and National Center for Assisted Living (NCAL) Certificate of Completion.
If you should have any questions about this process please contact the Department of Public Health at firstname.lastname@example.org