File a Sales Finance/Vehicle Loan Complaint
Department of Banking Retail Installment Financing Contract Complaint Notice
The Department pursues complaints about retail installment contracts, made in Connecticut on the purchase of a car and other consumer goods. The holder of a retail installment contract is responsible for compliance with Connecticut Banking Law.
How do I submit a complaint?
File a complaint about a retail installment financing contract entered into in Connecticut with the Department of Banking using the Online Consumer Assistance Form:
There are many more rights and protections for Connecticut residents concerning retail installment contracts, including the following:
Interest Rate Caps:
- Caps on interest rate charged on a sales finance contract to purchase a car:
- New car = cap of 15% annual percentage rate (APR) on interest charged
- Used model less than 2 years old = cap of 17% APR
- Used model over 2years old = cap of 19% APR
- Caps on interest rate charged on sale of consumer goods other than a car is 18%.
Telephone Direct: 860-240-8170
Toll-free: 1-800-831-7225, ext. 8170
Foreclosure Assistance Hotline: 1-877-472-8313
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This is an unsecured e-mail address for general questions. Please do not include personal identifying information such as Social Security and/or account numbers, birth date, user ID, or passwords using this unsecured e-mail address. To send a Secure Message log into the Online Assistance Form.