Student Loan Servicer Licensing

Essential Statutes

Please reference the relevant Connecticut Statutes (§§ 36a-846 to 36a-854) before applying for a license.

Effective July 1, 2016, no person shall act as a student loan servicer, directly or indirectly, without first obtaining a license, unless such person is exempt from licensing.

Notice to Student Loan Servicers  
Publication of Student Loan Servicing Standards
Order Establishing Requirements and Interim Procedures for System-Based Licensure for Certain Financial Services Industries 

How to Apply

If you wish to apply for a student loan servicer license you should begin by first reviewing Connecticut’s Jurisdiction-Specific Requirements along with Connecticut's student loan servicer licensing statutes, which provides the current licensing procedures and requirements applicable to student loan servicer facilities.

If your company already has a completed record in the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System and Registry, then applying for a license in Connecticut merely involves filing your company's record (Form MU1), control person records (Form MU2), and relevant branch records (Form MU3) with Connecticut through the NMLS and mailing in the jurisdiction-specific requirements to the Department.

Go to the Getting Started page of the NMLS website and follow the steps outlined:

NMLS Resource Center button

Any questions relating to the NMLS should be directed to the NMLS Call Center at (855) 665-7123.


Connecticut Department of Banking
Consumer Credit Division
260 Constitution Plaza
Hartford, CT 06103-1800

Telephone: (860) 240-8200 or toll-free 800-831-7225
Fax: (860) 240-8215

WHO TO CONTACT - Contact Jessica Morton by phone at 860-240-8158 or send your questions
via e-mail to for additional assistance.