Debt Adjuster Licensing

Essential Statutes

Please reference the relevant Connecticut Statutes (§§ 36a-655 to 36a-665, inclusive) before applying for a license.

Notice to all Debt Adjusters:

Consumer Credit Division Director communication with licensed money transmitters and debt adjusters regarding the possible need to hold both licenses.

How to Apply:

If you wish to apply for a debt adjuster license you should begin by first reviewing Connecticut’s Jurisdiction-Specific Requirements along with Connecticut's debt adjuster licensing statutes, which provides the current licensing procedures and requirements applicable to debt adjusters.

If your company already has a completed record in the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System and Registry, then applying for a license in Connecticut merely involves filing your company's record (Form MU1), control person records (Form MU2), and relevant branch records (Form MU3) with Connecticut through the NMLS and mailing in the jurisdiction-specific requirements to the Department.

Go to the Getting Started page of the NMLS website and follow the steps outlined:

NMLS Resource Center button

  Any questions relating to the NMLS should be directed to the NMLS Call Center at (855) 665-7123.


Connecticut Department of Banking
Consumer Credit Division
260 Constitution Plaza
Hartford, CT 06103-1800

Telephone: (860) 240-8200 or toll-free 800-831-7225
Fax: (860) 240-8215

WHO TO CONTACT - Contact Anne Cappelli by phone at 860-240-8206 or send your questions
via e-mail to for additional assistance.