Consumer Collection Agency Licensing
Warning to Licensees Who Collect Debt From CT Consumers:
It is illegal to collect on consumer loans which violate Connecticut’s small loan regulatory scheme or to receive payment processing fees not contemplated by a consumer’s underlying debt contract - see attached memo. A person is prohibited from directly or indirectly assisting or aiding and abetting any person in conduct prohibited by Sections 36a-555 to 36a-573, inclusive.
Notice to all Consumer Collection Agencies:
- Order Establishing Requirements for Conducting Business from a Remote Location
- Order Establishing Requirements and Procedures for Use of Electronic Bonds
- The Department will take a no-action position concerning enforcement of the licensure requirements of persons engaged in indirect consumer collection activity until November 1, 2020.
- No Action Position on Mortgage Servicer Licensure Requirement for Licensed Consumer Collection Agencies
- Memorandum from the Banking Commissioner regarding his “no action” position regarding the student loan servicer requirement for licensed consumer collection agencies
How to Apply:
If you wish to apply for a consumer collection agency license you should begin by first reviewing Connecticut’s Jurisdiction-Specific Requirements along with Connecticut's consumer collection licensing statutes, which provides the current licensing procedures and requirements applicable to consumer collection agencies.
If your company already has a completed record in the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System and Registry, then applying for a license in Connecticut merely involves filing your company's record (Form MU1), control person records (Form MU2), and relevant branch records (Form MU3) with Connecticut through the NMLS and mailing in the jurisdiction-specific requirements to the Department.
Go to the Getting Started page of the NMLS website and follow the steps outlined:
Any questions relating to the NMLS should be directed to the NMLS Call Center at (855) 665-7123.
Connecticut Department of Banking
Consumer Credit Division
260 Constitution Plaza
Hartford, CT 06103-1800
Telephone: (860) 240-8200 or toll-free 800-831-7225
Fax: (860) 240-8215
WHO TO CONTACT - Contact Sandra Gibbons by phone at 860-240-8238 or send your questions
via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org for additional assistance.