The Connecticut General Statutes (C.G.S.) Sec. 1-1(q) provides the legal definition of “farming” and “agriculture” in the State of Connecticut.

Familiarize yourself at the outset with your town’s zoning to see what is allowed for farming and retail operations. A few towns have Agriculture Commissions that can help orient you to farming in your community. The CT Farm Bureau Association’s Advocacy Toolkit provides fact sheets on state and local tax programs, land use regulations, farm to market information and more. If you have questions or concerns about local agricultural regulations, contact Joan Nichols at CT Farm Bureau Association for help:

Check with your town assessor to determine if your farmland is classified as farmland for property tax purposes. Review information on PA 490 provided by the CT Department of Agriculture. This page lists the 2020 recommended land use values. If you have any questions about PA 490 please contact the Connecticut Department of Agriculture at (860) 713-2503 or call or call Connecticut Farm Bureau Assoc. at 860 768-1100.


*Tip: Keep in mind that town rule can override state rule if it’s more restrictive. Please be sure to have an of understanding of state and local regulations, including local area health department regulations.

Access free legal assistance from Legal Food Hub for issues such as land acquisition/transfer, local zoning disputes, estate issues, taxes, contracts, and corporate formation, among others.


Zoning Regulations for Livestock: Best Practices - a guide intended to provide guidance to municipalities drafting land-use regulations related to livestock.