RCRA Corrective Action, Closure, and Stewardship

Connecticut is authorized for Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Closure and Corrective Action. RCRA requires facility owners and operators to clean up properties that have treated, stored, or disposed of hazardous waste at their facility. This requirement is implemented through a permit, order, or in the case of land disposal facilities, by regulation. Such clean-up work may be coordinated with work performed pursuant to other clean-up authorities in Connecticut.

RCRA Corrective Action

RCRA facilities must investigate all areas of concern sitewide.  If any investigation and remediation activities are not completed by the time of a facility's permit issuance then such environmental investigation and remediation will be included in the permit.  

Ecological Risks

RCRA Closure

RCRA requires operators to remove hazardous waste from treatment and storage areas and to either remove waste from land disposal units or close such units as a land disposal facility.  Once wastes are removed, facilities and generators must decontaminate the area and any equipment that was used for managing hazardous wastes. Any releases to the environment must be remediated.

RCRA Stewardship Permits for Corrective Action Facilities

If You Own or Operate a Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Hazardous Waste Facility:
  • Do you want to move from interim status to permitted status and reduce future permitting and enforcement uncertainty?
  • Do you want to start on the road to clean-up?
  • Do you want to memorialize the clean-up work completed to date?
  • Do you want a "certificate of stewardship" to provide to the bank or the insurance company to show you are on the road to clean-up?

The answer: Apply for a Stewardship Permit.  

A Stewardship Permit:

  • Defines the long-term obligations for the permit holder;
  • Is transferrable to future owners;
  • Provides public participation during the cleanup process;
  • Documents cleanup as it is completed; and
  • Imposes financial assurance, possibly in phases, for the proposed cleanup work.

Additional Information

Remediation Stewardship Permit Fact Sheet

Examples of Stewardship Permits Issued

Proposed Individual Permits

Permit application forms and instructions

Permit Application for Remediation Stewardship Permit  (DEP-STWD-APP-100)

Contact Information:

DEEP.REMStewardship@ct.gov  Remediation Division, Water Protection and Land Reuse Bureau


Content Last Updated April 25, 2023