Importation and/or Liberation Permit for Triploid Grass Carp

Authorizes the importation, possession and liberation of triploid grass carp into inspected/approved ponds.

Grass Carp

(photo courtesy of U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service)

Triploid (sterile) grass carp are one of many options for nuisance aquatic vegetation control. Each body of water is unique and triploid grass carp may not be appropriate for every situation.

The Triploid Grass Carp materials publication is designed to answer your questions about using triploid grass carp to manage nuisance aquatic vegetation.  Please carefully review these materials before determining that you will apply for a grass carp liberation permit.

Please note that screens installed on dams and spillways may require permitting.  Applicants considering the installation of a screening device on any dam or spillway need to contact the DEEP Inland Water Resources Division, Dam Inspection and Safety Section at 860-424-3706 for guidance.

You will need the following information for your application:

  • description of aquatic vegetation or algae problem

  • history of other control techniques used

  • percent coverage of aquatic vegetation desired

  • pond management objectives

  • primary use of the pond

  • size of the pond

The Inland Fisheries Division advocates rooted aquatic plant coverage range between 20% and 40% of the surface area of lakes and ponds.

Importation and/or Liberation Permit Application for Triploid Grass Carp  Word Form / PDF

Application instructions

  • The Inland Fisheries Division inspects all ponds to determine strict regulatory compliance.
  • Screening requirements are very stringent to ensure the fish cannot escape from the waters in which they were stocked, thereby preventing off-site damage to aquatic habitats.
  • Please allow 30 days to process your request.

If you have any questions please contact:

Fisheries Division
Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection
79 Elm Street
Hartford, CT 06106-5127
Phone:  860-424-FISH (3474)


Link to Facebook

Get your Fishing license Here!


Content last updated April 2019