Weatherization in Connecticut

Weatherization Header, man repairing pump
What is the Weatherization Assistance Program?
The US Department of Energy funds the Weatherization Assistance Program and assists low-income persons in minimizing energy-related costs and fuel usage in their homes through retrofits and home improvement measures.

Who Provides Weatherization Services?
Connecticut’s Weatherization Assistance Program (CT WAP) is administered by the Department of Energy & Environmental Protection (DEEP) in partnership with the Connecticut Community Action Agency network.  Local Community Action Agencies and Non-Profits qualify households and coordinate services; DEEP provides overall program management and technical assistance.

Am I Eligible?

The Weatherization Assistance Program uses the same eligibility criteria as the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program. The eligibility is set at 60% of the State Median Income. Priority is given to particularly vulnerable households, such as the elderly, persons with disabilities, families with children, and high-energy users. For multi-family dwellings, at least two-thirds of the tenants must be income-eligible. For more information regarding the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program and eligibility, please visit:

Additional Eligibility Criteria
  • The Connecticut Weatherization Assistance Program cannot weatherize the property if it has been weatherized by WAP, LIHEAP, HUD, or USDA activities within the last fifteen years.
  • The property cannot be for sale or listed for sale within six months of the work’s completion.
  • The property cannot be in foreclosure or loan mediation.
  • To receive services, landlords of rental applicants may be asked for a landlord contribution of 20% of the material cost, up to a maximum of $500 per eligible household. 
How Do I Apply?
The statewide Community Action Agency (CAA) network and Local Non-Profits operate the Weatherization Assistance Program. Applications are taken simultaneously by the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program as part of a joint application process. Ask the staff person for a Weatherization Card or Referral Form if you are interested in the program.  For the Energy Assistance intake site near you, call 2-1-1. 

What Happens After I Apply?
If eligible you must contact either Community Renewal Team (CRT) or Center for Eco Technology (CET) to schedule an initial energy audit. The energy audit helps determine the weatherization measures to be installed. Keeping health and safety in mind, the objective is to lower energy bills by making the dwelling more energy efficient. Typical measures may include heating system tune-ups and repairs, blower door-guided air-sealing, attic and sidewall insulation, and health & safety inspections.

I’m Interested in Weatherization, but I’m not Eligible. What Are My Options?
There are other programs available, including a utility ratepayer-funded low-cost energy audit. Contact Energize CT for more information by phone:  1-877-WISE-USE (877-947-3873). For Information about the Connecticut Weatherization Assistance Program (CTWAP), please email:

Request for Proposals for WAP and WAP-BIL (Dates Tentative)
Information on the Current WAP-BIL Application
Information on the Current WAP-BIL Public Hearings
Information on the Current Formula Application (Dates Tentative)
  • March 22, 2024 - Notice of Public Comment on [Draft] PY24 WAP State Plan (Notice) (Plan)
  • April 3, 2024 - PY 24 WAP PAC Meeting (Presentation) (Minutes)
  • April 24, 2024 - PAC Meeting Public Comments Matrix (Matrix)
  • April 18, 2024 - Notice of PY 24 WAP State Plan Public Hearing (Notice)
  • April 24, 2024 - [Second Draft] PY24 WAP State Plan (Plan)
  • April 29, 2024 - PY24 WAP Public Hearing (Presentation)
  • April 29, 2024 - PY24 WAP Public Comments Due
  • May 3, 2024 - WAP State Plan first submission (Plan)
Information on WAP Public Hearings
Additional Information on WAP and WAP BIL 

Content last modified May 17, 2024