OverviewThe Connecticut Summative Assessment system includes the following assessments:
- The Connecticut Smarter Balanced Assessment for students in Grades 3 through 8.
- The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) assessment for students in Grades 5, 8, and 11.
- The Connecticut SAT School Day for students in Grade 11.
- The Connecticut Alternate Assessment System:
- Connecticut Alternate Assessment (CTAA) for English Language Arts and Mathematics for eligible students in Grades 3 through 8 and 11;
- Connecticut Alternate Science (CTAS) Assessment for eligible students in Grades 5, 8, and 11; and
- The Collaborative for the Alternate Assessment of English Language Proficiency (CAAELP) for eligible students in Grades K - 12.
- The English Language Proficiency assessment (LAS Links) in Grades K - 12 for English learners.
- The Connecticut Physical Fitness Assessment in Grades 4, 6, 8, and high school.
- The Kindergarten Entrance Inventory is administered to kindergarten students.
2022 - 23 Assessment Calendar
|Content Areas (s)||Assessment||Grade (s)||Testing Window|
|English Language Proficiency: Speaking, Listening, Reading, and Writing||LAS Links Collaborative for the Alternate Assessment of English Language Proficiency (CAAELP)||K - 12||
January 3–March 3, 2023
February 1-March 31, 2023
|English Language Arts (ELA) & Mathematics||Connecticut Smarter Balanced||3–8||March 27–June 2, 2023|
|Connecticut SAT School Day||11||Primary Test Dates: March 22 - 24 and 28 - 29, 2023 Makeup Dates: April 25 - 27, 2023|
|Connecticut Alternate Assessment (CTAA)||3–8 and 11||March 27–June 2, 2023|
|Science||NGSS Assessment||5, 8, and 11||February 6–June 2, 2023 (Grade 11) March 27 –June 2, 2023 (Grades 5 - 8)|
|Connecticut Alternate Science Assessment (CTAS)||5, 8, and 11||March 27 – June 2, 2023
|Physical Fitness||Connecticut Physical Fitness Assessment||4, 6, 8, and high school||Anytime during the school year|
|Language skills, Literacy skills, Numeracy skills, Physical/Motor skills, Creative/Aesthetic skills, and Personal/Social skills||Kindergarten Entrance Inventory||kindergarten||
Snapshot Date: 10/17/2022 Submission Due Date: 12/8/2022
- Sensible Assessment Practices - The purpose of this document is to offer guidance to educators including general education teachers, special education teachers, interventionists, instructional specialists, and related service providers on how they can “assess” their incoming students when the new school year begins without necessarily having to “test” them.
- Sensible Assessment Practices Webinar Series - This webinar series, consisting of short, topic-specific focal areas, was developed to support district administrators and teachers in preparation for school. Sessions complement the Sensible Assessment Practices document.
Assessment Policy Overview
- 2022-23 - Connecticut's Summative Assessment System - Assessment Policy Overview - This resource outlines the general policies of the Connecticut State Department of Education for all state summative assessments that are administered to Connecticut public school students.
United States Department of Education Peer Review Status Letters
- Connecticut Smarter Balanced Assessment
- Connecticut SAT School Day
- The Connecticut Alternate Assessment (CTAA)
- English Language Proficiency Assessment
- Connecticut Alternate Science (CTAS) Assessment
- The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Assessment