The Connecticut Summative Assessment system includes the following assessments:
- The Connecticut Smarter Balanced Assessment for students in Grades 3 through 8.
- The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) assessment for students in Grades 5, 8 and 11.
- The Connecticut SAT School Day for students in Grade 11.
- The Connecticut Alternate Assessment System:
- Connecticut Alternate Assessment (CTAA) for English Language Arts and Mathematics in Grades 3 through 8 and 11, and
- Connecticut Alternate Science (CTAS) Assessment in Grades 5, 8 and 11.
- The English Language Proficiency assessment (LAS Links) in Grades K - 12 for English learners.
- The Connecticut Physical Fitness Assessment in Grades 4, 6, 8 and high school.
- The Kindergarten Entrance Inventory is administered to Kindergarten students.
2019 - 20 Summative Assessment Calendar
The CSDE submitted a waiver to the United States Department of Education (USED) on March 20, 2020, in regard to federal assessment and accountability requirements. The CSDE received formal approval on March 27, 2020 from the USED that Connecticut can begin to implement the provisions in this waiver which includes no summative testing (Smarter, NGSS, CT SAT, CTAA and CTAS) and no Next Generation Accountability for the 2019-20 school year. Since many students in Grade 11 use the Connecticut SAT School Day for college acceptance/placement, the CSDE will work closely with the College Board to determine how best to afford all students the opportunity to take an SAT assessment either this spring or sometime in the future.
If you would like to comment on CSDE’s waiver request, please email your comment to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 10, 2020.
Due to the school closures related to the COVID 19 and the subsequent assessment/accountability waiver from the USED, the administration of the Connecticut Physical Fitness Assessment is cancelled for the remainder of the 2019 – 20 school year. The CSDE will not be collecting and reporting any Physical Fitness Assessment results for the 2019-20 school year, including assessments that have already been administered.Assessment Policy Overview
2019-20 - Connecticut's Summative Assessment System - Assessment Policy Overview - This resource outlines the general policies of the Connecticut State Department of Education for all state summative assessments that are administered to Connecticut public school students.
Public Assessment Results
- Public results for state summative assessments can be found on EdSight
District Secure Assessment Results
- Smarter Balanced Results: Secure Student Results (via ORS)
Connecticut SAT School Day: Student Score Portal
Alternate Assessment System Results (CTAA and CTAS): Secure Student Results (via ORS)
LAS Links: Secure Students Results (via DRC Secure Site)
United States Department of Education Peer Review Status Letters
- Connecticut Smarter Balanced Assessment
- Connecticut SAT School Day
- The Connecticut Alternate Assessment (CTAA)
- English Language Proficiency Assessment
- Connecticut Alternate Science (CTAS) Assessment - CSDE will be submitting for peer review for this assessment in July 2020.
- The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Assessment - CSDE will be submitting for peer review for this assessment in July 2020.