CSDE Resource Lists
- Child Nutrition Programs: Afterschool Snack Program; Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP); family-style meal service; financial management; food service qualifications; Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP); guidance for Child Nutrition Programs; National School Lunch Program (NSLP); offer versus serve (OVS); procurement; School Breakfast Program (SBP); Special Milk Program (SMP); Summer Meals; training for Child Nutrition Programs staff; USDA Foods; and water availability.
- Competitive Foods in Schools: Competitive foods; Connecticut Nutrition Standards; financial impact of healthy foods; healthy food certification; school fundraisers; school stores; school vending machines; and USDA's Smart Snacks nutrition standards.
- Dietary Guidance and Nutrition Information: adolescent nutrition; cultural and ethnic food diversity; developing healthy eating habits; dietary guidance; early childhood nutrition; food labels; healthy snacks; infant nutrition and feeding; nutrition and aging; nutrition information; nutrition myths and fad diets; and nutrition resources for families.
- Food Safety in Child Nutrition Programs: Food recalls and alerts; food safety education; food safety education for children; food safety resources for schools, child care, and summer meals; food thermometers; foodborne diseases; hazard analysis critical control point (HACCP); handwashing; regulations and guidelines; and standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Health and Achievement: connection between health, learning, and achievement.
- Menu Planning and Food Production in Child Nutrition Programs: Creating and promoting healthy meals; food production; meal pattern components (meat/meat alternates, grains, vegetables, fruits, and milk); legumes (beans and peas); limiting added sugars, fat, and sodium; low-cost healthy eating; low-fat dairy; meal patterns; menu planning for Child Nutrition Programs; nutrient analysis; recipes; sample menus for schools and the CACFP; signage and posters; and vegetarian meals.
- Nutrition Education: Cooking with kids; curriculum development; evaluating nutrition education resources and information; farm to school; games and activities; health literacy; healthy eating calculators; interdisciplinary curricula; nutrition education for preschoolers, elementary students, middle and high school students, and multiple ages; nutrition handouts; nutrition presentations; nutrition promotions; nutrition resources in other languages; and training for teachers and staff.
- Obesity Data and Prevention: Body mass index (BMI); hunger and food access; obesity data and trends; obesity education and information; and obesity prevention strategies.
- Physical Activity and Physical Education: Behavior management; classroom physical activity; data and trends; evaluating physical education; guidelines and standards; limiting screen time; physical activity before and after school; promoting physical activity; recess; recess before lunch; and safe routes to school.
- Special Diets in Child Nutrition Programs: Requirements and guidance for meal modifications in Child Nutrition Programs; celiac disease; diabetes; eating disorders; feeding problems; food allergies; inborn errors of metabolism; lactose intolerance; and training on special diets.
- Wellness Policies in Schools and Child Care: Action planning; alternatives to food rewards; assessment; celebrations; child care nutrition and physical activity policies; commercialism in schools; community partnerships; data and trends; developing and implementing policies; employee wellness; engaging families; engaging students; evaluation; grants and funding; legislation; marketing and promotion; meal schedules; modeling healthy behaviors; sample policies; school health teams; school wellness policy requirements; success stories; and Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC).
- Action Guide for Child Care Nutrition and Physical Activity Policies (CSDE)
- Action Guide for School Nutrition and Physical Activity Policies (CSDE)
- Alternatives to Food Rewards
- Breakfast: Key to Academic Excellence (Parent Handout)
- Healthy Celebrations (CSDE)
- Healthy Fundraising (CSDE)
- Manuals and Guides for Child Nutrition Programs (CSDE webpage)
- State Board of Education Position Statement on a Coordinated Approach to School Health (CSDE)
- State Board of Education Position Statement on Nutrition and Physical Activity (CSDE)