January 19, 2022, Meeting Update Notification: The January 19, 2022, Connecticut State Board of Education meeting will be held at 450 Columbus Boulevard, Hartford, at 9:30 a.m. The wearing of masks is required of all persons entering 450 Columbus Boulevard, as well as during the meeting. All mask and social distancing protocols will be adhered to during the meeting. This meeting will be live streamed and can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAyxss_PnAM

Getting a GED in Connecticut


To register for the GED® test, you must:

  • be a resident of Connecticut;
  • be 17 years of age or older and officially withdrawn from school for at least six months;
  • not be enrolled in school; and
  • not have graduated from high school

Individuals whose high school diplomas are from unaccredited high schools or individuals, who have secondary school diplomas from countries outside the United States and Canada, are eligible to take the GED®test if they meet all other eligibility requirements.

Test-Takers must be at least 17 years old

Connecticut General Statutes, Section 10-5(a) requires that individuals who are either 17 years of age at the time of GED® registration must submit documentation that they have been officially withdrawn from a Connecticut school for at least six months; Individuals who are 17 years of age may submit, in lieu of a withdrawal form, a letter from the last high school attended stating that the class they entered ninth grade (or would have entered if never enrolled) has already graduated.

Test-Takers who are Homeschooled

Individuals 17 years of age who are homeschooled and wish to take the GED® test must have a parent/guardian obtain documentation from the local school district acknowledging their original intent to homeschool.

Once the parent/guardian obtains the evidence, they need to contact the State Department of Education GED® office to request a Homeschooling Attestation Form signed by the Connecticut GED® Administrator.

Since homeschooled students cannot procure a school withdrawal form, they can use this attestation form to register for the GED® test.

The Attestation Form cannot be used to enroll in classes at Adult Education.

Connecticut State Department of Education

GED Office

450 Columbus Boulevard, Suite 508

Hartford, CT 06103-1841

Phone: (860) 807-2110 or (860) 807-2111

Email: ged@ct.gov


Proving Identity and Residency for GED ® testing in Connecticut

All test-takers require proof of identity and Connecticut residency.

*During the registration process, the Connecticut adult education program must validate a GED test-taker's identification and residency as noted above. The proctor at a Pearson VUE Testing Center need only verify photo identification on the day of testing.

Individuals with a current and valid State of Connecticut photo identification

A valid and current State of Connecticut photo identification can be used as proof of ID and residency. Examples of a State of Connecticut issued photo identification are:

·         CT Driver's License*

o   Both verified and non-verified CT Driver’s Licenses are acceptable.

o   The Temporary Paper Card (TPC) is not acceptable as a stand-alone document, but only accepted with the expiring license or ID card.

·         CT Learner's Permit

·         CT Non-Driver photo identification**


*Please note that Drive Only licenses are only valid for driving purposes and cannot be used as identification. 

**Resident municipal city identification cards cannot be used for GED® testing purposes.

Individuals without a State of Connecticut photo identification
A current, valid (not expired) government issued photo identification can be used for proof of identity. The identification must also include the student's name, date of birth, signature, expiration date and photograph. GED Testing Service® accepts the following primary forms of ID:

  • Passport
  • Out-of-State Driver's License
  • Out-of-State Learner's Permit
  • Out-of-State Non-Driver's identification
  • Military ID
  • Alien Registration (green card, permanent resident, visa)
  • National/State/Country identification card
  • Any other form of government-issued ID (national or foreign), including Matricula Consular


Proof of Connecticut Residency


All GED test-takers must provide a piece of mail from one source below to prove the home is located in Connecticut. A post office box is not acceptable. The document must:

  • Show your name and your Connecticut residence address
  • Be dated within 90 days (unless stated otherwise below)
  • Be computer generated (typed)
  • Bill from a bank or mortgage company, utility company, credit card company, doctor or hospital
  • Bank statement or bank transaction receipt showing the bank’s name and mailing address
  • Pre-printed pay stub showing your employer’s name and address
  • Property or excise tax bill, or Social Security Administration or other pension or retirement annual benefits summary statement and dated within the previous 12 months
  • Medicaid or Medicare benefit statement
  • Current valid homeowner’s, renter’s policy or motor vehicle insurance card or policy dated within the previous 12 months
  • Current valid Connecticut motor vehicle registration
  • Current motor vehicle loan statement for a motor vehicle registered in your name
  • Residential mortgage or similar loan contract, lease or rental contract showing signatures from all parties needed to execute the agreement and dated within the previous 12 months
  • Connecticut voter registration card
  • Change-of-address confirmation from the United States Postal Service showing your prior and current address (Form CNL107)
  • Survey of your Connecticut property issued by a licensed surveyor

*During the registration process, the Connecticut adult education program must validate a test-taker's identification and residency as noted above. The proctor at a Pearson VUE Testing Center need only verify identification on the day of testing.