**DSS Field Offices are now open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

**DSS Field Offices and our staffed telephone Benefits Center (1-855-6-CONNECT or 1-855-626-6632) are closed on Wednesdays to allow our staff time to process applications, renewals and related work.

**24/7 access: Customers can access benefit and application information, at www.connect.ct.gov and www.ct.gov/dss/apply; or our automated Client Information Line at 1-855-6-CONNECT (1-855-626-6632). More about 24/7 access options at www.ct.gov/dss/fieldoffices.

Low Income Household Water Assistance Program Coming to CT


Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program Coming to Connecticut

The Department of Social Services (DSS) has been awarded funds from the federal Department of Health and Human Services to administer the first Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program.  This new federal program will provide funds to assist low-income households with water and wastewater bills. 

The Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program is especially intended to help households with the lowest incomes or that pay a high proportion of household income for drinking water and/or wastewater services.  Priorities include restoration of household water services to disconnected households, reduction of arrearages, and prevention of service disconnection.

Design of the program has begun at DSS.  Through our Division of Program Oversight & Grant Administration, we are soliciting recommendations and input from stakeholders, including Community Action Agencies, water supplier and wastewater service providers.  DSS has solicited input at the June 2021 Low-Income Energy Advisory Board meeting and via direct email and letter to the Connecticut Association for Community Action, the Connecticut Water Works Association, and various other organizations, both internal and external to state government. 

***The LIHWAP Allocation Plan has been approved and is available for public review. 

Individuals or organizations with input and comments are invited to contact DSS at Carlene.taylor@ct.gov.

Current expectations are that payments on behalf of qualified households will be made directly to eligible water and sewer companies following a model similar to the Low-Income Household Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), known in our state as the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program). 
Grants to operate the Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program are available to states like Connecticut that received fiscal year 2021 LIHEAP grants.

Additional information can be found at: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Office of Community Services (OCS), Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)

Please look for additional details to be posted here as design and planning progress.  We look forward to bringing Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program to Connecticut!

Thank you from the Connecticut Department of Social Services.

[Updated 8-18-21]