May 13, 2022: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention listed six Connecticut Counties in the High/Orange category as part of its COVID-19 Community Levels Map. Only Fairfield and New London Counties are listed in the Medium/Yellow category. Residents in these counties should wear a mask indoors in public; stay up to date with COVID-19 vaccines and get tested if they have symptoms. Additional precautions may be needed for residents who are at high risk for severe illness. Visit the CDC COVID-19 Community Levels Map for updates.

Maps

Putting on Airs Regions

This map shows the State of Connecticut overlaid with the geographic catchments areas for the Putting on Airs (POA) regions. Each Region is led by a local health department/district or hospital-based agency, charged in conducting outreach activities, education, referral and linkage for additional services of POA referrals and address other social determinants of health.

Asthma Burden

These maps show the burden, hospital and emergency department visits, of asthma at the census tract level overlaid with the POA regions. Estimates based on the 2014-2018 Connecticut Inpatient Hospitalization and Emergency Department Visit dataset and the 2010 Census population data at the census tract level, per 10,000 population.

Asthma and Selected Pollutants

In collaboration with the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, these maps show burden of asthma, hospital and emergency department visits, overlaid with the most recent contamination levels of selected pollutants:

 

Asthma Data by Census Tract and Town

The tables below and accompanied maps (where available - in bold) show Connecticut asthma hotspots by town and census tract level, and are used by the State Asthma Program to ensure program activities are in line with burden data and that program resources are focused on areas and populations with poor asthma outcomes. 

The analyzed hospital discharge (2010-2014) data are obtained from the Connecticut Hospital Association, CHIME. Denominator data are from the US Census Bureau census tract data (2010); 77% of overall combined ED and hospitalization events were  geocoded by census tract level [ESRI ArcGIS], and the remaining 23% of events were equally weighted and redistributed proportionally within each town across the state. Therefore, all numbers and rates are estimates only, and reflect all asthma hospitalizations and ED visits that occurred in Connecticut from 2010-2014.

 

Andover

East Lyme

Naugatuck

Southbury

Ansonia

East Windsor

New Britain

Southington

Ashford

Easton

New Canaan

Sprague

Avon

Ellington

New Fairfield

Stamford

Barkhamsted

Enfield

New Hartford

Sterling

Beacon Falls

Essex

New Haven

Stonington

Berlin

Fairfield

New London

Stratford

Bethany

Farmington

New Milford

Suffield

Bethel

Franklin

Newington

Thomaston

Bethlehem

Glastonbury

Newtown

Thompson

Bloomfield

Granby

Norfolk

Tolland

Bolton

Greenwich

North Branford

Torrington

Bozrah

Groton

North Haven

Trumbull

Branford

Guilford

North Stonington

Vernon

Bridgeport

Haddam

Norwalk

Voluntown

Bristol

Hamden

Norwich

Wallingford

Brookfield

Hampton

Old Lyme

Washington

Brooklyn

Hartford

Old Saybrook

Waterbury

Burlington

Hartland

Orange

Waterford

Canterbury

Harwinton

Oxford

Watertown

Canton

Hebron

Plainfield

West Hartford

Chaplin

Kent

Plainville

West Haven

Cheshire

Killingly

Plymouth

Westbrook

Chester

Killingworth

Pomfret

Weston

Clinton

Lebanon

Portland

Westport

Colchester

Ledyard

Preston

Wethersfield

Columbia

Litchfield

Prospect

Willington

Coventry

Madison

Putnam

Winchester

Cromwell

Manchester

Redding

Windham

Danbury

Mansfield

Ridgefield

Windsor

Darien

Marlborough

Rocky Hill

Windsor Locks

Deep River

Meriden

Salem

Wolcott

Derby

Middlebury

Seymour

Woodbridge

Durham

Middlefield

Sharon

Woodbury

East Granby

Middletown

Shelton

Woodstock

East Haddam

Milford

Sherman

 

East Hampton

Monroe

Simsbury

East Hartford

Montville

Somers

East Haven

Morris

South Windsor

 

Back to Asthma Surveillance & Epidemiology Page

 

Back to Asthma Program Homepage