Connecticut Clean School Bus Program
The Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Clean School Bus (CSB) Rebates Program provides funding to replace existing school buses with zero-emission vehicle (ZEV) and low-emission models. With funding from the 2021 Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, Public Law 117-58 (Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, "BIL"), the EPA CSB Rebates Program has increased funding by $5 billion over the next five years (fiscal years 2022-2026). In addition to offering rebates for school bus replacement, the EPA CSB Rebates Program provides a limited amount of funding for infrastructure upgrades necessary to install charging equipment for the buses.
Additionally, Section 13 of Public Act No. 22-25 authorizes to establish a grant program to provide matching funds necessary for municipalities, school districts and school bus operators to submit federal grant applications, in order to and electric vehicle charging infrastructure. This supplemental grant program is intended to pay for a portion of the incremental cost of zero-emission school buses not covered by EPA funding. The DEEP program will also provide supplemental grants to EPA CSB Rebates Program awardees for infrastructure upgrades.
Sign up for the Clean School Bus mailing list and you'll receive updates and other program information!
To the extent resources are available, DEEP can provide assistance to entities and individuals seeking to apply for these grants:
2023 Clean School Bus Grant Informational Webinar
An informational webinar for the 2023 CSB Grant Program was held on Wednesday, July 19, 2023. The webinar recording and presentation are available below.
EPA has organized a number of information sessions and webinars regarding the 2023 CSB Grants. To view recordings/slides from these sessions, or for access to future sessions, please visit: EPA Clean School Bus Webinars.
2023 EPA Clean School Bus Program Grants
On April 24, 2023, EPA announced the 2023 Clean School Bus Program Grants to fund electric, propane, and Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses that will produce either zero or low tailpipe emissions compared to their older diesel predecessors. Eligible applicants for this funding opportunity are (1) state and local governmental entities that provide bus service; (2) public charter school districts, (3) Indian Tribes, Tribal organizations, or Tribally controlled schools, (4) nonprofit school transportation associations, and (5) eligible contractors (including OEMs, dealers, school bus service providers, and private bus fleets).
EPA will provide a combined funding amount to cover both bus and infrastructure costs for all awardees requesting electric school buses. EPA is prioritizing applications that will replace buses serving high-need local education agencies, Tribal school districts funded by the Bureau of Indian Affairs or those receiving basic support payments for students living on Tribal land, and rural areas (Priority Districts).
Note: The deadline for submitting an application package is August 22, 2023, at 11:59PM (ET).
- 2023 EPA CSB Program Grants
- 2023 EPA CSB Program Grants Notice of Funding Opportunity
- 2023 EPA CSB Program Grants Questions and Answers
- DEEP Fact Sheet Summarizing the 2023 EPA CSB Program Grants
2023 EPA Clean School Bus Rebates Program
The 2023 EPA CSB Rebates Program is expected to be announced in the fall of 2023. This program will fund activities similar to those funded through the 2023 EPA CSB Program Grants, with a shorter application, different selection mechanism, and different program requirements.
2023 Clean School Bus Matching Grant Program
DEEP is authorized to provide supplemental grants to EPA's 2022 CSB Rebates Program awardees and 2023 CSB Program Grant awardees. Check back soon for more information on this grant opportunity.
Other EPA Grant Opportunities
EPA's Boston office provides information regarding grants and funding in New England on its website.
In addition, EPA maintains a listing of open announcements for grants, fellowships, and other funding for environmental projects.
Clean Cities Grant Programs
Your organization may be able to take advantage of incentive and financial opportunities for reducing petroleum use in your fleet of vehicles.
World Research Institute Resources
2022 EPA Clean School Bus Rebates Program
- Connecticut Technical Education and Career System: up to $7,625,000.00 toward the replacement of 25 school buses with EV equivalents and EV charging infrastructure.
- Regional School District No. 1: up to $395,000.00 toward the replacement of one school bus with an EV equivalent and EV charging infrastructure.
- Cornwall School District: up to $395,000.00 toward the replacement of one school bus with an EV equivalent and EV charging infrastructure.
- Sharon School District: up to $395,000.00 toward the replacement of one school bus with an EV equivalent and EV charging infrastructure.
The following is a compilation of all projects completed utilizing Clean School Bus funding. For information on some of DEEP's other diesel initiatives, please visit our Diesel Emissions Reduction Projects (DERA) webpage.
2023 EPA Clean School Bus Program Grants
Awardees have not been announced.
2022 EPA Clean School Bus Rebates Program and Connecticut Clean School Bus Matching Grant Program
All projects are currently ongoing.
- WRI Assistance Website (Talk To an Expert | Electric School Bus Initiative)
- Clean Cities
- Register for the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Electric School Bus Working Group, a series of interactive meetings for school districts in EPA Regions 1, 2, and 3. Participants receive funding opportunity updates, gain insights from industry experts about market trends, and communicate with peers during the working group meetings.
- Bipartisan Infrastructure Law Clean School Bus Program
- EPA Clean School Bus Program
Archived Links and Resources
- EPA Clean School Bus Program Fact Sheet
- 2022 EPA Clean School Bus Rebates Program Overview Flyer
- 2022 EPA Clean School Bus (CSB) Rebates Program Guide (May 2022)
- 2022 EPA Clean School Bus Rebates: Questions and Answers (February 2023)
- 2022 Clean School Bus Inventory Sheet (xlsx)
- 2022 Clean School Bus Rebates - Prioritized School Districts (May 2022)
- 2022 EPA Clean School Bus Rebates: Application User Guide (May 2022)
- 2022 EPA Clean School Bus Rebate Next Steps Flyer (October 2022)
- 2022 Awarded Clean School Bus Program Rebates | US EPA
- 2022 EPA Clean School Bus Rebates: Payment Request User Guide (November 2022)
Content last updated July 20, 2023