To protect the health and safety of the public and our employees, DCP has limited on-site staffing at 450 Columbus Blvd. While mail and phone calls will be processed as quickly as possible, we recommend using our online services, or sending an email to the appropriate division/person instead. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Home Improvement Contractor

Under the Connecticut Home Improvement Act, an individual and/or business is required to register with the Department of Consumer Protection if they are contracting with a consumer to perform work on residential property.  Home Improvement is any permanent change to residential property, including but not limited to driveways, swimming pools, porches, garages, roofs, siding, insulation, flooring, patios, landscaping, painting, fences, doors and windows, waterproofing, and alarm systems not requiring electrical work.

New Law (Public Act 21-197) Effective July 1, 2022

  • All applicants must obtain general liability insurance of no less than $20,000 to be eligible for a home improvement contractor registration.  Applicants will be required to provide the name of their insurance provider and policy number in their application.
  • All applications must be submitted online. 

New Application:

  apply online button For an Individual or Legal Entity
  • Non-refundable application fee: $220.00


Change, Addition, or Removal of Owner for Legal Entity:

Additional Information:


Back to Licenses, Permits and Registration Forms