FAQs for Active/Inactive Teachers

If I decide to retire this year, how do I go about filing for my retirement benefits with CTRB?

If you are planning to retire, we strongly recommend that you file for retirement with this office at least four to six months prior to your effective date of retirement.  You must file an Application for Retirement Benefits, along with a copy of your birth certificate.  If you are electing Plan D, Co-participant Option, you must also file a copy of your co-participant's birth certificate.  

The Filing for Retirement/New Retiree - Questions and Answers Bulletin provides important information regarding filing requirements, additional credited service, 1% and/or Voluntary account distribution, and new retiree procedures.  In order to estimate your monthly benefit and the cost of any potential additional credited service, obtain the Benefit Estimator Worksheet