Water Diversion Program

The Water Diversion Program regulates activities that cause, allow or result in the withdrawal from, or the alteration, modification or diminution of, the instantaneous flow of the waters of the state through individual and general permits. The Water Diversion Policy Act is codified in Section 22a-365 through 22a-379 of the Connecticut General Statutes as well as Sections 22a-372-122a-377(b)-1 and 22a-377(c)-1 to 22a-377(c)-2 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies. In general, any person proposing a diversion which was not previously registered with the Department and, which is not exempt, must apply for a permit. Failure to obtain a permit for an unauthorized diversion may result in the initiation of enforcement actions with injunctions and penalties. For more information on diversion permits, view the Water Diversion Permit Fact Sheet.

Water diversion license holders are required to submit an annual report of daily water usage. For more details on reporting, see the Water Diversion Reporting Information page.

See the spreadsheets below for a list of Registered or Permitted Diversions:

                                        Below are examples of water diversion structures:

     Pump intake from a river    Residential well for potable water supply    Example of a well pumphouse

          Surface water withdrawal                           Well casing                      Well house

                  Water cannon at polo grounds      Impounded water body and weir

                                 Water cannon for irrigation                 Impounded stream flowing through weir

Additional Information and Resources

Supplemental Diversion Program Reference Material:

Exclusive Service Area (ESA) maps are used as a reference to determine eligibility under certain consumptive water diversion regulatory exemptions. An ESA is defined as an area where public water is to be supplied by only one distribution system to ensure that safe and adequate drinking water is available to areas of the state where public water supply is needed.

Best Management Practice Guidance:

For more information regarding the Consumptive Water Diversion Program, please contact the Water Planning and Management Division at (860) 424-3020 or email at deep.waterdiversion@ct.gov.

For more information regarding the Non-Consumptive Water Diversion Program, please contact the Land and Water Resources Division at (860) 424-3019 or see the Land and Water Resource Division Application website.


Water Quantity

Content Last Updated May 15, 2024