Alcoholic Beverages
State law requires that individuals must be 21 years of age or older to possess alcoholic beverages.  Alcoholic beverages are permitted in many state parks and forests, but not on beaches or boardwalks.  Beer in containers larger than 1 liter is prohibited.  More information on specific areas that do not allow alcoholic beverages can be found in individual park pages.

Groups wishing to visit by bus must secure a bus permit by contacting Reserve America by telephone (877) 668-2267 at least fourteen days prior to the visit.

State Park and Forest Recreation Areas are open to the public year round, as conditions permit, from sunrise until sunset. They are open to vehicular traffic from 8 a.m. to sunset.  Parking fees are charged at major developed areas. Site maps are available for many of the parks.

Pets on a leash are permitted in most state parks and forests, except in buildings, swimming areas and camping areas (as noted below). Owners must remove and properly dispose of pet waste left by the pet or riding animal under their control (Section 23-4-1 (f)).  In addition, pets are not permitted at Sherwood Island or Squantz Pond State Parks between April 15 and September 30.  Pets are not permitted at any time in Dinosaur State Park, or in the formal gardens or beaches at Harkness Memorial State Park. If you are planning to bring your pet to one of our state park or forest areas, please check the individual page for that location for specific pet policies.  

Pets are prohibited in all State Park camping areas. 

Pets are permitted in State Forest camping areas, which include American Legion State Forest (Hawes Campground), Pachaug State Forest (Green Falls and Mount Misery campgrounds) and the Salt Rock Campground, but must abide by the following: 

  • Pets shall be on a leash that is no longer than seven (7) feet in length, and must be under the control of their owner or keeper at all times.
  • Pets are prohibited from entering all buildings, including cabins and are not allowed on rustic cabin sites. 

    Exception: ‘Service Animals’, as defined by the ADA, are permitted in any of our camping areas.  Emotional Support, Therapy, Comfort, or Companion Animals do not qualify as service animals under the ADA and are only permitted in the State Forest Camping Areas listed above. 
More specific information can be found in individual park pages.

Content Last Updated June 2022


If you have questions or need additional information on Connecticut State Parks and Forests, please contact the State Parks Division by e-mail at deep.stateparks@ct.gov or by phone at 860-424-3200.