Waste Transportation

An Environmental Permitting Fact Sheet

Go Paperless with DEEP's ezFile! Waste Transporter Permit applications can be submitted through DEEP's on-line ezFile system. Learn more on the benefits of ezFile and how to create an account.

Program Overview

This permit program, administered by the Bureau of Materials Management and Compliance Assurance, regulates activities related to the transportation of waste oil, petroleum and chemical liquids, hazardous waste, and biomedical waste. Additionally, any person acting as a contractor to contain or remove or otherwise mitigate the effects of discharge, spillage, uncontrolled loss, seepage or filtration of such substance, material, or waste must also apply for a spill contractor permit. In reviewing a permit application, the Engineering and Enforcement Division considers: the qualifications of the applicant; the nature and quantity of waste to be transported; the types and conditions of vehicles used; and the compliance history of the applicant.

Authorizing Statutes

Sections 22a-454 and 22a-208a of the Connecticut General Statutes (CGS)


Sections 22a-208a-1, 22a-209-15, and 22a-449(c)-11 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies (RCSA)

Who Must Apply

Any person transporting hazardous waste regulated under the federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act; any person in the business of transporting waste oil or petroleum or chemical liquids or hazardous waste in or through the State of Connecticut; any person transporting biomedical waste or in the business of transporting biomedical waste; or any person acting as a spill contractor in the State of Connecticut.

Exclusions from Permit

A transporter permit is not required for a generator of hazardous waste who transports (via equipment owned by the generator) a total of less than 1,000 kg of hazardous waste in a calendar month to an off-site waste facility within the State of Connecticut, providing the facility either has a permit from DEEP or is operating under interim status pursuant to the Hazardous Waste Management Regulations. See RCSA Section 22a-449(c)-11(b).

A transporter permit is not required for a generator of biomedical waste who transports his own biomedical waste from its original generation point to a central collection point pursuant to RCSA Section 22a-209-15(g)(14)(A-C).

Required Application Documents

Permit Application for Waste Transportation (DEEP-WEED-APP-400), including supporting documentation such as vehicle certification information, certificate of insurance, spill control plan and drivers information; Applicant Compliance Information (DEEP-APP-002). Transporter permit applications must be submitted through DEEP's on-line ezFile system.


The application fee for a transporter permit required under CGS Section 22a-454 is $940.00 per year, or $3760.00 for a four-year permit.

For permits to transport biomedical waste issued under CGS Section 22a-208a, the application fee is $1,750.00.

Review and Processing

Upon receipt of the application package and application fee, a preliminary review of the application is conducted for sufficiency and general consistency with applicable standards and criteria. A detailed technical review is then conducted to ensure the applicant has adequate spill control and emergency equipment, and an appropriate spill response plan.

Average Processing Time

For this permit program, processing time for a typical application, based upon recent experience is less than 90 days. Past performance is not a guarantee of future processing timeframes.  In order to increase the efficiency of application processing, we recommend that you utilize the Department's Pre-Application Guidance process, assure that your application package is properly completed at the time of submittal, and that you promptly reply to any requests for information.


Permit Duration

CGS Section 22a-454 provides that transporter permits may be issued for up to five years.

Biomedical waste transporters must renew permits every two years pursuant to RCSA Section 22a-209-15(g)(9)(A).

Go Paperless with DEEP's ezFile!

Waste Transporter applications must be submitted through DEEP's on-line ezFile system.

Benefits of using ezFile include:

  • Applications can be "shared" with ezFile users of your choice allowing others to assist with the registration process.
  • Pre-populated drop-down lists to facilitate appropriate selections.
  • E-mail confirmation of submission, DEEP decision on the application.

Resources to assist with your transition from paper based applications and permits to ezFile:

To get started:

  1. Create your user account (use Google Chrome). Refer to detailed instructions, if needed.

    Note: The Account Security PIN is only valid for 24 hours. If your PIN has expired, go to the Account Manager and select the "Register User" option from the right hand menu.

    If you do not receive the email, check your junk or spam folder and ask your IT department staff to check their spam folder. To help ensure you receive the email:

  2. If you have questions concerning your user account, or resetting your password contact Deep.Helpdesk.Footprints@ct.gov.
  3. Once you've created your user account, log in to ezFile. Once logged in, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the blue box that says "Waste Transporters". Then select the “new application” button under the “My Drafts” tab to get started.
  4. You will be prompted to create your subscriber agreement before moving on to the next section of the application screen. To create a Subscriber Agreement, select the profile button at the top right of the page and select “Subscriber Agreement” from the drop-down menu.

Questions regarding the Waste Transporter ezFile applications should be directed to DEEP.WasteTransporters@ct.gov

Please note: There are permit application fees associated with the Waste Transporter permitting process. If you chose the “pay later” option when submitting, your application will not be processed until the application fee is paid.

Contact Information

Waste Engineering and Enforcement Division
Bureau of Materials Management and Compliance Assurance
Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
79 Elm Street
Hartford, CT 06106-5127

This overview is designed to answer general questions and provide basic information. You should refer to the appropriate statutes and regulations for the specific regulatory language of the different permit programs. This document should not be relied upon to determine whether or not an environmental permit is required. It is your responsibility to obtain and comply with all required permits.

Fact Sheet DEEP-WEED-FS-400

Content Last Updated May, 2022

Users Guide to Environmental Permits