Under reciprocity agreements with Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New York, anglers holding a valid Marine Waters Fishing License in any of these states may fish in the marine district and land marine fish in this state (CT). CT residents holding a valid Marine Waters Fishing License for CT may also fish in the marine district of Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New York.

Note: Connecticut residents must hold a valid Connecticut marine waters fishing license to fish in CT (meaning a CT resident cannot use a Marine Waters Fishing License from Maine to fish in CT waters and claim reciprocity).

The following is provided for general guidance only. Always check with the state you plan to fish in for the latest licensing requirements.

Can I fish in the following locations with a valid CT Marine Waters Fishing License?

Federal waters: Yes. Connecticut Marine Waters Fishing License holders will be exempt from the federal registry requirement. However, if you intend to take tunas, sharks, swordfish or billfish in federal waters, you must also have the appropriate federal Highly Migratory Species (HMS) permit. NOAA HMS website

New York: Yes. Note the following text provided on NYDEC web site as of April 2012: “You do not need to register if you are a Connecticut or Rhode Island resident who has a marine waters fishing license from their respective states.” For more information visit the NYDEC website:

RI: Yes. RI DEM website:

NH: No. Fish and Game website:

MA: Yes. MA DMF website:

ME: Yes. ME DMR website:

OTHER States: No, UNLESS that state does not have a marine or saltwater fishing license requirement. In such cases a valid Marine Waters Fishing License from Connecticut (or any other exempt state) will satisfy the federal registry requirement. 

instagram logo  facebook logo   youtube logo

Please contact the Fisheries Division with any questions. 

Phone: 860-434-6043

Content updated March 2021