What do package stores need to do to continue to sell THC-infused beverages?

Read time: 6 minutes

If you are a package store that has THC-infused beverages for retail sale:

  • To sell THC-infused beverages through June 30, 2024:
    • On May 14, 2024: Count the number of containers of THC-infused beverages you have in your possession. This includes all containers on the sales floor and in your premise storage space.
    • By June 15, 2024:
      • Report to the Department of Consumer Protection the number of individual containers you counted on May 14, 2024. Link: How to Report Your Inventory
        • Example: Four-pack of cans counts as four containers.
      • Pay a $1 fee for each container reported in your count.
    • To report your inventory and pay the container fee, log into your eLicense account and use the “License Maintenance” function found at the top of the screen. When you report your container count, you will be asked to pay the $1 per container fee.
    • If you have multiple locations, you must conduct and report a separate count for each location using the e-License account for that location’s liquor permit.
    • You must pay the fee by June 15, 2024.
  • To sell existing stock of THC-infused beverages after June 30, 2024:
    • To continue selling the THC-infused beverages you had in stock as of May 14, 2024, you must obtain a waiver from the Department of Consumer Protection by June 30, 2024.
    • When you report the results from your May 14, 2024 inventory, you may request a waiver in eLicense. If you do not request a waiver, you cannot continue selling the THC-infused beverages you had in stock that fail to comply with the new THC limit and labeling requirements. After September 30, 2024, the waiver will expire.
    • All legacy THC-infused beverages must be sold no later than September 30, 2024.
  • To sell new stock of THC-infused beverages on or after July 1, 2024:
    • Beginning July 1, 2024, package stores wanting to sell new stock of THC infused beverages must apply for an endorsement on their package store permit. The endorsement is required to buy new stock of THC infused beverages from wholesalers. The endorsement application costs $500. If you have more than one package store permit, you must apply for the endorsement under each permit separately. The endorsement must be renewed annually for $500 at the same time you renew your package store permit.
    • To access the portal and apply for the THC infused beverage endorsement:  
    1. Go to https://elicense.ct.gov.   
    2. Log into your active package store permit account with your existing user ID and password.  (If you have forgotten your password, you may reset it via the link under the log in box.)
    3. Once logged in, scroll down to click “More Online Services” then click “License Maintenance.”
    4. Select the package store credential (LIP) applying for the endorsement and click “Start.”
    5. From the drop-down menu, select “THC Infused Beverage Endorsement”.   
    6. Answer the questions, enter payment information, and submit your application. 
    7. You will receive an email from the Department with a new copy of your permit with the endorsement shown on it.   

Related Information:

Hemp, CBD and Other Products Policies Procedures and The Law Licensing Frequently Asked Questions Establishing a Business