Can I sell products with less THC than a high-THC hemp product?

Read time: 6 minutes

IMPORTANT: Effective July 1, 2024, only cannabis retail establishments (dispensary facilities, hybrid retailers and retailers) and package stores with a waiver can offer THC-infused beverages (beverages containing THC) for retail sale. 

A cannabis license from the Department of Consumer Protection is not required to sell products that are NOT cannabis or high-THC hemp products or, in other words, products at or below the limits of “High-THC hemp products”, with the exception of THC-infused beverages.

Both High-THC Hemp Products and Synthetic Cannabinoids are now classified as cannabis under State law and may only be sold by licensed cannabis establishments. If you do not hold a cannabis license issued by the Department of Consumer Protection (DCP), it is illegal to sell or offer cannabis, including synthetic cannabinoids, and high-THC hemp products. The sale of high-THC hemp products and synthetic cannabinoids at unauthorized retailers is unlawful and action may be taken by law enforcement. 

It’s important for business owners to review the labels of all products containing THC to determine if any items are high-THC hemp products or if they contain synthetic cannabinoids. Please check with an attorney if you are unsure if it is lawful to sell a product. Retailers without a DCP cannabis license must remove all high-THC hemp products and products containing synthetic cannabinoids from their shelves and stop all sales of these products. 

Please contact the product manufacturer or distributor to determine how best to proceed with unsold products. 

For more information about THC-infused beverages please visit, Frequently Asked Questions: Who can sell THC-infused beverages?

Hemp, CBD and Other Products Possession Retail Sales