IMPORTANT: Backers applying as part of a cannabis establishment license application through the lottery need to complete and submit their backer application prior to the close of that lottery period in order to be considered as a Backer in connection with that cannabis establishment license application.
A Backer is an individual with a financial interest in a cannabis establishment, and either (1) owns 5% or more of the cannabis establishment, including in the aggregate with a spouse, parent and child, or (2) participates directly or indirectly in the control, management or operation of the cannabis establishment.
Eligible applicants must meet all licensing requirements as outlined in Section 24 and 29 of Public Act 21-1 (June Sp. Sess.), the Department’s policies and procedures, and all other relevant state and local laws and regulations.
- Backer Application Checklist - Social Equity Applicant
- Backer Application Checklist - non-Social Equity Applicant
The cannabis establishment owner must provide this office with documentation confirming your employment. The department may request additional information, as necessary.
- All backer licenses expire annually one year from the initial date of issuance.
- Each backer is required to submit a renewal application and fee to the department at least 45 days prior to the date the existing license expires.
- If a renewal application is not filed prior to the license’s expiration date, the license will become void until the renewal application is approved.
- If a renewal application is not submitted within thirty calendar days of the license’s expiration date, the applicant will be required to submit a new application.
- Intial - $100
- Renewal - $100
Apply online at https://elicense.ct.gov/
Applicant and Backer License Limits (Section 40 of PA 21-1)
The Department cannot award a license to any applicant selected through the lottery that has two or more licensees of the same type, or in the same license category, or any applicant that includes a backer that has managerial control of or is a backer of two or more licensees of the same type, or in the same license category. Dispensary facility, retailer and hybrid retailer licenses shall be considered to be within the same license category and producer, cultivator and micro-cultivator licenses shall be considered to be within the same license category.
- Social Equity Council Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Other Licensing and Application Questions: email@example.com