Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the agency is closed to the public until further notice. Our staff continues to provide services through telework and will make every effort to continue agency operations to the greatest extent practicable. Our main number is 800-504-1102. For a complete directory of departments visit Contact Us. We will respond to voice mail and email communications as promptly as we can. Thank you for your understanding. Contact Us

FAQs for Retired Teachers

How do I determine the taxability of my retirement benefit?

When you retire, you will be notified of the amount that you contributed to the retirement plan on an "after-tax" basis.  This amount also appears on your initial IRS Form 1099R.  The amount of money that you contributed to the plan that was subject to tax in the year in which the contributions were made is known as "investment in contract".  This amount will include any after-tax payments that you may have made towards the purchase of additional service credit.  To determine the tax-free portion of your monthly benefit, you should follow the directions on the IRS 1040 Form under the heading "Pensions & Annuities".  You may also obtain the Taxability of Your Retirement Benefit bulletin from the Retired Teacher Publications page.  For more information, you should contact the IRS directly or visit their website at: www.irs.gov.