Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the agency is closed to the public until further notice. Our staff continues to provide services through telework and will make every effort to continue agency operations to the greatest extent practicable. Our main number is 800-504-1102. For a complete directory of departments visit Contact Us. We will respond to voice mail and email communications as promptly as we can. Thank you for your understanding. Contact Us

FAQs for Retired Teachers

How do I change my tax withholding?

Federal IRS Withholdings:

You may change your federal tax election at any time by completing CTRB's Federal Tax Withholding Change Form and submitting it to this office.

If you would like to get an idea of what your federal withholding amount will be based on your marital status and number of withholding allowances, you may refer to the IRS Publication 15 (Circular E).  Please note, the actual amount of your withholding may differ very slightly from the table since CTRB uses the "percentage method" of withholding.  

The Internal Revenue Service also offers a convenient online planning tool called the IRS Withholding Calculator.  The purpose of this computer program is to help ensure that you do not have too much or too little income tax withheld from your pay.  Many people will find it more accurate and easier to use than the worksheets that accompany Form W-4P.  You may use the results of this program to determine if you should adjust the amount of your withholding.  

Connecticut DRS Withholdings:

You may change your Connecticut state tax election at any time by completing CTRB's Connecticut Tax Withholding Change Form CT-W4P and submitting it to this office.

The State of Connecticut Department of Revenue Services (DRS) also offers a tool called the Pension or Annuity Withholding Calculator to facilitate you with calculating your monthly Connecticut income tax withholding.