Section 4: Electoral/Voter Behavior
Voter Trends Over Time (analysis/comparisons of different groups of voters by age, gender, race, etc.)
- Exit Polling: Elections and the Media (discusses pros & cons and historical controversy of exit polling) .
- Voter Behavior and Election Results (analyze results of 2012 election, conduct voter turnout poll & compare to state and national voter turnout statistics).
Election Strategies to Target Voters
- Targeting voters through ads (The Living Room Candidate—includes video of historic candidate commercials)
- Modern Political Campaigns Mean Personalization (PBS Newshour Extra)—classroom activity on microtargeting to predict voter behavior, includes 8 minute video.
Protecting Your Right to VoteIdentifying electoral fraud including voter impersonation, voter suppression and corruption of the vote through historical cases. Connecting historical cases with the laws enacted to overcome them.
Voter Identification Requirements
- Articles in support of photo ID
- Articles opposed to photo ID
- Overview of both pros and cons of photo ID requirements
- Everything You’ve Ever Wanted to Know About Voter ID Laws (Pro Publica)
- Voter ID: Pros, Cons and Costs (NCSL video panel discussion)
- Voter Identification Requirements (NCSL interactive map of states)
- Persuasion Map (readwritethink.org interactive tool for students to use as they develop their persuasive argument about photo ID requirements)
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.