CSDE-RESC Alliance Introduction to Customized Employment in CT
The Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE), in collaboration with the RESC Alliance, is sponsoring an Introduction to Customized Employment (CE) in CT training for special education teachers, providers, and administrators working with transition-age students with disabilities. These sessions are designed to increase capacity and a shared understanding of the CE process in CT, which may lead to competitive integrated employment, for students with the most significant disabilities. Participants will understand the components of CE (e.g., Foundational Knowledge, Job Discovery, Job Development, Post-Employment Support), become familiar with the job discovery process, and learn how special education transition services and activities, as identified on a student’s IEP, could be aligned to and support CE job discovery activities.
Each training session is comprised of two 2-hour, interactive and engaging, virtual classes. Optional asynchronous activities are also available to participants interested in learning more about CE.
This training is free, virtual, and hosted through Zoom. All materials will be made available in Canvas, a learning management system. Please register for a session that you can attend both virtual classes.
2022-23 Session Registration Link and Virtual Class Date(s)/Time(s):
- Session 1: Monday, November 7th, 9:00 – 11:00 am and Monday, November 14th, 9:00 – 11:00 am
- Session 2 : Thursday, December 8th, 9:30 – 11:30 am and Friday, December 9th, 12:30 – 2:30 pm
- Session 3: Monday, January 9th, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm and Monday, January 30th, 1:00 – 3:00 pm
- Session 4: Friday, February 10th, 9:00 – 11:00 am and 1:00 – 3:00 pm
- Session 5: Friday, March 3rd, 9:00 – 11:00 am and Friday, March 17th, 12:30 – 2:30 pm
- Session 6: Tuesday, April 25th, 1:00 – 3:00 pm and Wednesday, April 26th, 1:00 – 3:00 pm
“Customized Employment means competitive integrated employment, for an individual with a significant disability, that is: based on an individualized determination of the unique strengths, needs, and interests of the individual with a significant disability; designed to meet the specific abilities of the individual with a significant disability and the business needs of the employer; and carried out through flexible strategies." [34 Code of Federal Regulations §361.5(c)(11)]
For content questions or assistance with registration, please contact one of the RESC CE Trainers: