The resources below help schools and institutions comply with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) regulations for meal counting and claiming in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP), School Breakfast Program (SBP) , Afterschool Snack Program (ASP), Seamless Summer Option (SSO) of the NSLP, and Special Milk Program (SMP).
All sponsors of school nutrition programs must ensure that all free, reduced-price, and paid meals claimed for reimbursement are:
- served only to children eligible for free, reduced-price, and paid meals, respectively; and
- counted, recorded, consolidated, and reported through a system that consistently yields correct claims.
Connecticut Requirements and Guidance
- Key Information for Connecticut Claims Preparers for School Nutrition Programs
- Overview of Meal Counting and Claiming Process
- Requirements for Classroom Meals in the NSLP and SBP
- Requirements for Field Trip Meals in the NSLP and SBP
- Site Information on Money Collection and Point-of-Service (POS) Meal Count Systems Form
- Meal Application and Data Management Process Form