The Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) supports nutrition programs in a wide variety of settings through the administration of federal grants provided by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The USDA Child Nutrition Programs include the:
- Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) for child care centers, family day care homes, emergency shelters, at-risk afterschool care programs, and adult day care centers;
- Summer Food Service Program (SFSP); and
- school nutrition programs, which include the National School Lunch Program (NSLP), School Breakfast Program (SBP), Afterschool Snack Program (ASP), Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP), Special Milk Program (SMP), and Seamless Summer Option (SSO) of the NSLP.
Funds and regulations related to these programs are administered in collaboration with the USDA Northeast Regional Office (NERO) in Boston. Eligible institutions enter into written agreements with the CSDE to operate local programs that provide for the nutritional needs of those in their care.
- Child Nutrition Staff and Responsibilities
- Food Distribution Program (USDA Foods)
- School Nutrition Programs
Nondiscrimination Statements (USDA and CSDE)