Gov. Malloy Invites Public to Annual Holiday Open House at the Governor’s Residence
The 2018 Open House Will Be Held December 7, 8, and 9
(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Dannel P. Malloy and First Lady Cathy Malloy are inviting Connecticut residents to attend the annual holiday open house at the Governor’s Residence in Hartford. Located at 990 Prospect Avenue, the house will be decorated for the season and open to the public for tours.
The dates and hours of the open house are:
- Friday, December 7, 2018 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Saturday, December 8, 2018 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Sunday, December 9, 2018 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
“The Christmas season is one of my favorite times of the year, and Cathy and I love having everyone over for this longstanding Connecticut tradition,” Governor Malloy said. “Not only does this give us an opportunity to share our own family’s personal collection of Christmas decorations, but a number of Connecticut growers and small businesses are also generously donating seasonal trimmings for us to share. We look forward to having everyone join us in the holiday spirit.”
This is the 28th year that holiday decorations, including Christmas trees, wreaths, and seasonal plants have been donated to the Residence at no cost to the state. This year, those generous donations come from Jones Family Farms in Shelton and the Connecticut Greenhouse Growers Association.
Tours will be aided by volunteers, some of whom have participated in this event for over 20 years. Santa will also be on hand throughout the weekend. The Governor’s Residence is ADA accessible.
There is no admittance fee and tickets are not needed, however donations will be accepted on behalf of Operation E.L.F., an annual initiative of the Connecticut Military Department that assists military families in need. Suggested donations include:
- Financial contributions through checks that can be made payable to the Connecticut National Guard Foundation, Inc. (in the memo field please write “Operation E.L.F.”)
- Gift cards for grocery stores, department/home goods stores, pharmacies, and gas stations
- Contribution of services such as fuel oil, snow removal, and home maintenance services
“Nothing embodies the spirit of Operation E.L.F. quite like the Governor opening his doors to the public and providing members of the community a way to give back to our military families in need,” Major General Fran Evon, Adjutant General and Commander of the Connecticut National Guard, said. “I am truly grateful to Governor Malloy, Lieutenant Governor Wyman, and their families for making Connecticut’s service members a priority during the holiday season.”
Live entertainment will be performed by the following:
Friday, December 7, 2018
- 10:00 a.m. – Plainfield High School Chamber Choir
- 11:00 a.m. – The Woodstock Academy Hill Singers
- 12:00 p.m. – Hawkapella (University of Hartford a capella group)
- 1:00 p.m. – TBA
- 2:00 p.m. – The Ethel Walker School music program (Simsbury)
Saturday, December 8, 2018
- 10:00 a.m. – Extreme Measures (UConn a capella group)
- 11:00 a.m. – Conard High School Choir (West Hartford)
- 12:00 p.m. – Emmanuel Christian Academy Choir (Newington)
- 1:00 p.m. – Opus 4 String Quartet (South Windsor)
- 2:00 p.m. – Conn-Men (UConn a capella group)
Sunday, December 9, 2018
- 10:00 a.m. – Trintones (Trinity College a capella group)
- 11:00 a.m. – Newington High School Choir
- 12:00 p.m. – Hall High School Choraliers (West Hartford)
- 1:00 p.m. – Vocaholix
Information about the history of the Governor’s Residence can be found on the Governor’s website.