**DSS Field Offices are now open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

**DSS Field Offices and our staffed telephone Benefits Center (1-855-6-CONNECT or 1-855-626-6632) are closed on Wednesdays to allow our staff time to process applications, renewals and related work.

**Our customers can access benefit and application information, 24/7, at www.connect.ct.gov and www.ct.gov/dss/apply; or 1-855-6-CONNECT (1-855-626-6632), except during system maintenance on Friday, 10/15/2021 from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., during which ConneCT will experience a partial outage, Saturday, 10/16/2021 from 5:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m., during which ConneCT will experience a complete outage, and Sunday, 10/17/2021 from 11:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., during which ConneCT will experience a partial outage.

Economic Security - Financial Assistance


Qualifying for SAGA cash assistance benefits:

In order to qualify for SAGA cash assistance benefits, individuals must meet the following requirements:

  • Categorical Eligibility: With limited exceptions related to abuse or neglect, unemancipated minors (under age 18) are not eligible for cash assistance. In addition, individuals must qualify as Unemployable, Short-Term Transitional or Long-Term Transitional.
Unemployable: Determined by the Department’s disability examiners to have a physical and/or mental impairment (or combination or impairments) that will prevent employment for six months or more. The medical impairment criteria are identical to those used in the SSI and Medicaid programs, adjusted for duration and severity. Individuals may also qualify as unemployable for the following documentable non-medical reasons: under age 16; over age 65; over age 55 and no work history in the previous 5 years; full-time high school student; needed in the home to care for an incapacitated spouse or child; needed in the home to care for a child under age 2; or, pending receipt of a state or federal means-tested program, e.g., State Supplement or TFA.
Short-Term Transitional: Medical documentation of inability to work for 2 – 6 months. Must have a recent work history in order to qualify under this category (earned at least $500 in each of 3 of the last 5 calendar quarters, or was eligible to collect Unemployment Compensation during the previous six months).
  • Long-Term Transitional: Medical documentation of inability to work for six months or more. No work history required; however, all cases are referred to the Department’s disability examiners for a review of unemployability.
Benefit Levels: Unemployables – up to $212 per month. Short-Term and Long-Term Transitionals – up to $212 per month if applicant has a rental obligation or $53 if living rent-free.
Income Rules: Adjusted income (gross minus certain exclusions and deductions) may not exceed $53 or $212 per month, depending upon the individual’s Unemployable or Transitional status.

Asset Rules: The asset limit is $250 per person, or up to $1,000 for a family of four or more. The department does not count the equity of an automobile as long as it is no more than $4,500. The department counts any amount over $4,500 towards the asset limit.  Real property is subject to a lien or security mortgage.


Citizenship: Applicants must be citizens or qualified aliens. Rules are identical to those of the TFA program. Sponsor’s income is deemed for entrants following December 1997.
Third Party Benefits: Applicants and recipients must pursue all third party benefits (including SSI and TFA) in order to qualify.

Substance Abuse:
Active substance abusers (drug and/or alcohol) are required to participate in treatment.

Funeral Allowance: The Department pays for funeral and burial expenses of SAGA, TFA, State Supplement recipients and indigent persons who die without sufficient estate or legally-liable relatives able to pay for the cost of a proper funeral and burial. The Department’s maximum payment is $1,200. This amount is reduced by any liquid assets in the estate (such as money in a bank account),  life insurance policies, the amount in any funeral fund, any prepaid funeral contract, and the amount of contributions (regardless of source) that exceed $3,400.
Application must be made within one year of the date of death and may be filed by the funeral director, a family member, or any individual who made the funeral arrangements. Payment for the funerals can only be made to the funeral director, cemetery or crematory. Family members and individuals cannot be reimbursed or receive payment from the Department.


Out-of-State Transportation

The department will provide transportation for individuals receiving public or general assistance to any other state or country if such individual has a relative who agrees to support the individual, or the individual has a job in the other state. 



Qualifying for Temporary Family Assistance - TFA

 Who is eligible for TFA?

  • Families with dependent children up to age 18.
  • Families with dependent children who are 18 years of age or older - but the child must be fill-time student in high school or vocational school. 
  • Recipients must live in Connecticut, have very little or no income, and be supporting a child or children. In some cases, a pregnant woman may qualify if she has no other means of support and meets other eligibility factors.
  • The child or children in the household must live with a related adult or an adult who has filed for guardianship through probate court. Many TFA-eligible households are grandparents caring for grandchildren.

What are the requirements of TFA?

  • Adult recipients must participate in Jobs First Employment Services activities, coordinated by the Department of Labor.
  • Custodial parents must provide information to help in collecting child support from a parent who is not living in the home. 

What are the income limits to be eligible for TFA?

  • Income limits are extremely loq and vary throughout the state. The "Am I Eligible" pre-screening tool at www.connect.ct.gov is a helpful information resource.
  • Income of a non-parent relative of guardian does not count when the relative or guardian does not receive TFA for themselves. This is especially relevant when grandparents are caring for grandchildren. 
  • Active TFA-eligible households can earn up to the federal poverty level for their household size and remain eligible.

What are the asset limits to be eligible for TFA?

  • The household asset limit is $3,000.
  • One vehicle is excluded as long as the total value, minus and amount owed, is under $9,500, or used to transport a household member with a disability.
  • The value all of all other vehicles after the first vehicle counts toward the $3,000 asset limit.
  • Home property is not counted; however, a lien is placed so the state can recover benefit amounts paid after the sale of the owned property.
  • Assets of a non-parent relative or guardian are not counted when the relative or guardian does not receive TFA for themselves. 

For more information on qualifying for TFA and to view all related documents, please follow this link.



Qualifying for State Supplement for the Aged, Blind and Disabled

Covered Groups

  • An Individual must be:
    • Age 65 and older; or
    • Disabled between the age of 18 and 65; or
    • Blind

In addition, the individual must have a source of income such as Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) in order to qualify for assistance under the State Supplement Program. Those individuals who do not have a source of income are generally assisted by the State of Administered General Assistance program.

Non-Financial Eligibilty

  • An individual must be:
    •  A US citizen or eligible alien
    • A resident of Connecticut
  • An individual must:
    • Provide a Social Security number
    • Cooperate in establishing eligibility
    • Assign claims to possible sources of income or resources
    • Agree to the placing of a lien on home property
    • Sign a security mortgage against non-home property

A individual must not have transferred assets in order to qualify for assistance.

Financial Eligibility

  • Asset Limit
    • $1,600.00 per individual
    • $2,400.00 per married couple
  • Income Limit
    • Actual rent up to a maximum of: $400.00 (if living alone) $200.00 (if sharing shelter costs)
    • Personal needs allowance of $164.10 for a married individual residing with his or her spouse in non-rated housing or
    • The actual approved rate for a licensed boarding facility (Residential Care Facility)
    • Personal needs allowance of $28.90

Regardless of need, an individual's gross income may not exceed $2,094.00 per month.