For Professionals


Licensed Lead Abatement Contractors    RRP Certified Contractors
Real Estate  Encapsulants 

Licensed Lead Professionals

When is a lead abatement contractor required?

  1. When work is required at the residence of a child under the age of 6 that has an elevated blood lead level
  2. When a residential project is conducted through a HUD grant and the work exceeds $25,000
  3. If a town has a local ordinance  

What are the differences between a lead abatement contractor and a lead consultant?

The Lead Abatement Contractor is a company that performs the lead abatement work.

The Lead Consultant Contractor is a company that perform lead hazard reduction consultation work such as lead inspections and design of lead abatement plans.

How to become a lead abatement professional

There are many steps in becoming a lead abatement professional, including the completion of training and an application. Click here to learn more.

Find a training provider for lead abatement contractor courses

  • Click here for a list of training providers and courses, including refresher trainings

Lead Inspections

Lead inspections are conducted by certified state or local code enforcement officials, private sector lead inspectors or lead inspector/risk assessors whom are employed by licensed lead consultants.  Lead inspections are performed:

  • In response to an elevated blood lead level of a child;
  • In response to a child less than 6 years of age residing in a pre-1978 dwelling in which toxic levels of lead and defective surfaces have been previously identified;
  • In pre-1978 Group or Child Care Centers that have not been previously inspected;
  • For certain Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funded projects in which the HUD Lead Safe Housing Rule applies;
  • On a voluntary basis to identify locations of toxic levels of lead subsequent to lead abatement.  

Comprehensive Lead Inspection

A comprehensive lead inspection is usually conducted using a special instrument for lead in paint testing called an X-ray Fluorescence Analyzer or XRF.  The XRF identifies lead in all layers of paint.  This non-destructive testing provides immediate, reliable, on-site results and allows for the testing of painted surfaces.  As part of the comprehensive lead inspection, soil, water, and dust samples are collected and analyzed for lead concentrations by a certified laboratory.

If a full, comprehensive, lead inspection is not required, a more limited testing (e.g., paint testing within the interior of the home or paint testing of areas that are scheduled for repainting or remodeling) may be conducted by a licensed lead consultant.

Risk Assessment

A risk assessment includes an onsite inspection and visual examination of the property to identify potential lead-based paint hazards, such as defective paint, with follow up testing of potential sources of toxic levels of lead.  Defective painted surfaces can be tested by XRF analysis or paint chip analysis by a certified laboratory.  Dust wipe samples may be collected in selected locations to determine if a lead dust hazard exist.  Soil and water samples may be collected and analyzed for lead concentrations.  A lead risk assessment report explains actions that may be taken to address any identified lead hazards identified.  Intact paint is usually not tested during a risk assessment.

Requirements for Lead Inspections or Lead Risk Assessments

If you have a lead inspection or lead risk assessment conducted, you must have the work performed by a DPH Licensed Consultant who must employ a DPH certified lead inspector or lead inspector risk assessor to conduct the inspection.   A Home Inspector cannot provide either of these services.

Please refer to the DPH e-Licensing website to obtain a roster of lead consultant contractors (directions on how to find a licensed and certified Lead Professional are below).


RRP Certified Contractor

The Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule (RRP) is a federal regulatory program that affects contractors, property managers, and others whose work may disturb painted surfaces. Individuals that conduct renovation, remodeling, or paint removal activities on residential houses, apartments, and child-occupied facilities such as schools and day care centers built before 1978.

Step to Lead Safe Renovation, Repair, and Painting

How to Become a Certified Firm

What is required by RRP for firms?

  • Firms are required to be certified with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) 
  • Firms must comply with EPA's Pre-Renovation Lead Information Rule

What is required by RRP for individual workers?

The EPA has approved training providers that offer training courses for renovators under EPA's Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) Program. Please note that the State of Connecticut is not authorized to administer the EPA’s RRP. The Connecticut DPH is available to offer compliance assistance and an overview of the RRP requirements to regulated entities and interested groups.

RRP-Certified Workers

  • At least one RRP-certified individual must be present on each work site. This individual must take an EPA-approved 8 hour training course in order to obtain certification and become a “certified renovator”. This person is typically the manager or supervisor, but may be any worker employed by the company.
  • RRP-certified individuals must train all non-certified workers who will be working with lead-based paint (on pre-1978 properties) on how to use lead-safe work practices and ensure they follow the lead-safe work practices that minimize occupants’ exposure to lead hazards that they learned in the required training class.
  • If individuals had previously taken an 8 hour approved lead safe work practices training course, then a 4 hour EPA approved RRP refresher course is required when your certification expires in order to continue working on pre-1978 properties. 

Non-Certified Workers

  • The non-certified workers do not need to complete the EPA-accredited training course, but they must have on-the-job or classroom training with hands-on practice to ensure proper and safe work practices with all of their assigned tasks in compliance with the RRP rule. To view the training in English click here, for Spanish click here.
  • Non-certified workers training must be documented, as the EPA does conduct audits. Click here to download an RRP non-certified workers training documentation form 

Find an RRP-Certified Firm to Work on Your Home

Educational Booklets for Lead Safe Work Practices:


 For more information, please contact Robert Carr at (617) 918-1607 or


Real Estate

Testing Your Home for Lead

 It is recommended that all persons living in a home built before 1978 assume there is lead paint on the interior and/or exterior of the home and use lead-safe and appropriate work practices during all renovation activities (painting, window replacement, exterior siding installation, etc.). 

Lead-Free Certification

Your insurance company may ask you to provide them with “lead-free certification”, unless a property has undergone complete renovation with new building components and materials. The term “lead-free” can be misleading since any home has the potential to have lead hazards (e.g. repurposed leaded building materials, faucets that contain lead, lead pipes, lead in the soil from previous structures, etc.).

However, lead-safe certification can be provided by a certified lead inspector or certified lead inspector risk assessor. Obtaining this certification means that your home has been inspected for lead hazards. Before moving forward with hiring a professional to conduct an inspection, ask your insurance company what their requirements for lead-safe certification includes (comprehensive lead inspection, visual inspection, XRF testing, dust wipes, soil sampling, water testing, etc.).

 If you have further question, please call the Lead and Healthy Homes Program. 



If you would like your product to be listed on the CT DPH Registry of Authorized Encapsulant Products that Application for Lead Encapsulant Product Authorization  will need to be completed.