Hospice and Palliative Care Program
Inmate Volunteer Program
Inmate Volunteer Program Admission Criteria
- Minimum of two years before eligible for level reduction.
- No Class A or B disciplinary reports during the past year.
- No Class C disciplinary reports during the past 6 months.
- No documented drug use during the past five years (includes refusal to give a specimen).
- No suicide attempts during the past five years.
- No conviction of a sexual offense or sexual misconduct/public indecency disciplinary report within the last 5 years.
- No high security status.
- No previous conviction of sexual abuse of a child.
Inmate Volunteer Program Training Curriculum
- Hospice and its history.
- Medical diseases, signs and symptoms, patient issues.
- Effective communication, emotional and psychosocial needs.
- Spiritual needs at end-of-life; cultural and religious diversity.
- Grief and bereavement, care for the care-givers.
- OSHA; Caring for each other.
- AIDS, role of volunteer.
- Graduation ceremony.
All training is provided at no charge to the Department by:
The National Prison Hospice Association - Connecticut Chapter.
Hospice and Palliative Care of Connecticut - East Hartford VNA.