Connecticut State Police

How do I get an application?

Applications for the position of State Police Trooper Trainee are only available after the announcement of the scheduled written examination. Interested candidates can monitor the State Police Website or the Department of Administrative Services Website at http://www.das.ct.gov for upcoming announcements.

What are your age, height and weight requirements?

In order to join the Connecticut State Police, candidates must be at least 20 years of age by the expiration of the announced application period; however candidates must be 21 years of age to be hired. There is no maximum age limit. There also is no minimum height requirement and, although you must be physically fit to do the job, there is no weight requirement.

What are your educational requirements?

All candidates must have a high school diploma or GED by the time they
graduate from the Academy. However, advanced education is encouraged.

Do military veterans receive credits?

If a candidate has been in the military, they may be entitled to an extra 5
points on the written test only.

How long is the training?

The Academy is currently approximately six months long. Recruits live at the Academy during the week and are allowed to go home on weekends. The only way you can go to the Academy is to be hired first by the Department. When you are in the Academy, you are an employee of the Department of Public Safety and you will get paid while attending training.

What is the starting salary?

Based on the current contract, upon successful completion of the training academy the salary increases to $55,756.00 annually as of 12/31/2016. 

Benefits include paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, medical and dental
coverage, group life insurance, shift differential, state car and gasoline, uniform, meal allowance, tuition reimbursement, pension plan, and other benefits.

How can I get more information?

For additional information concerning selections and training, contact the
Selection Unit at 203-630-8070 or write to the Selection Unit, 1111 Country Club Road,
Middletown, CT 06457. If you are a college, university or civic organization,
and wish to schedule a visit by a State Police Recruiter, please contact the Selection Unit.

Can I live in another state once I become a Connecticut State Trooper?

No.  A condition of employment for all Connecticut State Troopers is that they must establish a residency in the state of Connecticut, obtain a valid drivers license issued by the State of Connecticut and retain that license as long as they are employed as a Connecticut State Trooper.  The above conditions must be met by the time a recruit graduates from the academy.

If I am a law enforcement officer for another agency, will the Connecticut State Police allow me to do a lateral transfer without going through the Connecticut State Police Academy?

No.  Any person who is currently a law enforcement officer, whether it is federal, state or local must complete the prescribed course of training outlined by the agency.  The only way to become a Connecticut State Trooper is to successfully complete the Connecticut State Police Academy.

Can I use my state police cruiser for personal business?

Yes.  Every Connecticut State Trooper is assigned their own vehicle.  This vehicle may be used for personal use.  The vehicle can be driven anywhere within the state of Connecticut and certain areas outside of the state.  All use of assigned vehicles is to be strictly adhered to as outlined in the department’s Administration and Operations Manual. 

Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer